This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edmonton police have office space in schools.......

Default Re: Edmonton police have office space in schools.......

Maybe we should follow some of Canadas ideas,

...our high school has an officer that patrols...I find it a very good idea...the really dedicated officers are the ones who get the duty...not the so-called "cowboys"...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...our high school has an officer that patrols...I find it a very good idea...the really dedicated officers are the ones who get the duty...not the so-called "cowboys"...
    Our high school had an officer on duty back in the early 90s. The idea was noble, but we totally had the wrong guy. He was a Vietnam War veteran (he had been in heavy combat... and was not reluctant to share gruesome tales of slaughtering entire squadrons of Viet Cong to students while in the Assistant Principal's waiting room). We had always half assumed he was dead serious, and other times, half assumed he was full of BS... but we erred on the side of caution with this loose cannon. Anyhow, the guy was totally warped... a fight on the schoolyard would automatically turn into the Fall of Saigon... a fire drill would become of the bombing of Cambodia... the kids smoking in the bathroom were the Viet Cong. The guy, in truth, was more a liability than anything... he almost reminds me of a SK character.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    I haven't been in the states for a long time. We have gun controls, but the gangs here manage to get them, I could get caught in a crossfire here in Edmonton. When I grew up in Newfoundland, it did not occur to me to worry about things like this....hardly any crime. I went to New York and never gave it a minutes thought. I found the folks from there to be very friendly. I think I would be wary now though. I have never seen a handgun and I do not wish to see one. YIKES!
    We have gun controls, but the gangs here manage to get them
    This is a key statement and applies to every country. The bad guys are always going to find weapons.

A police officer on site at any time is a good deterrence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12