This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Roger Ebert has died :(

Default Re: Roger Ebert has died :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
    I will greatly miss Roger Ebert's movie reviews. I don't normally have much use for critic's but I always respected Ebert because you could tell that he had a genuine love of film. Most critics strike me as pompous and arrogant and seem to really enjoy bashing movies and the people who make them just to gain attention, or are blatant suck ups who heap praise on undeserving films because it is the cool thing to do. But Roger Ebert had a deep love of movies and wasn't afraid to call it like he saw it, whether it went along with the popular opinion or not. Granted, I don't think I ever didn't go see a movie just because he said it was bad, but I watched the Siskel and Ebert show and was a regular reader of his written reviews for so long that I knew how his taste and opinions differed in relation to the kinds of things that I like. I always went to his website every Friday to see what he had to say about the new releases and it will feel strange not to be able to do that anymore. R.I. P. Mr. Ebert.
    A few times I thought "Oh Roger, you're just being cranky; I doubt it's that bad." I paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    A few times I thought "Oh Roger, you're just being cranky; I doubt it's that bad." I paid for that.

My opinions of movies were usually not too far out of line with his, but I never forgave him for his terrible half star review of The Frighteners in 1996. That is a movie that I greatly enjoy and most of the other notable critics didn't have such a harsh opinion of it (a few even liked it as much as me) so he must have been very cranky when he reviewed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post

I know I say I hate things all of the time but I really don't. Most things/people I don't care enough about to hate.

But I really hate these people. For real.

This is one human(?) behaviour that I am never going to understand, not even going to try to actually.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Seems they didn't show up at the funeral. I, for one, am very glad. I wish these folks would just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    This is one human(?) behaviour that I am never going to understand, not even going to try to actually.
    It's easy to understand. Phelps needs something to point to so that his followers can see how much the outside world hates them, that the only safe place is within his church.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    It's easy to understand. Phelps needs something to point to so that his followers can see how much the outside world hates them, that the only safe place is within his church.
    No, for me it really isn't. (If you knew me, you'd understand) My brain (Psyche?) doesn't work this way, little bits inside of me begin to break up and dissolve when I read a link like that.
    (Until I started hanging out at the board, I'd never heard of this kind of picketing before, we seriously don't have this kind of churches/worship(?) here... or if we do, they're so far underground as to be unobservable. Or maybe it's just not in our media?)
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

I have a strange feeling that we're going to eventually find out that this Phelps guy is having sex with animals, babies, extraterrestrials or something along that ilk. Seems the more vehemently these types of 'preachers' shout about the Lord, the more sick they are behind closed doors. I, too, wish that 'they' would just disappear, but 'they' keep getting 'their' word out thru the media, so it will continue to happen. Once the media starts to ignore 'them' (notice how little we've heard from the killer of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman since he was incarcerated), the less we will hear about this kind of nonsense. My heart goes out to the Ebert family and friends. This type of (phelps and his followers) hatred should not be attached to Mr. Ebert, at any time, especially now!

Hey Roger!

Sleep well, and get yourself back up over there. You gave me many thoughts, and you are a good man.

People are scary.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast