Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Online Emotional Connections - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Emotional Connections

Default Re: Online Emotional Connections

Sorry to hear about your friendship. I had an online friend for a while, but we drifted apart. I think that its easier to drift apart online, especially if you never actually meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Queen View Post
    Give her a little time..as you say yourself, she is married and maybe she doesn't want to jeopardize anything. If she truly values your friendship, she will see there's nothing wrong with a platonic relationship....but if she doesn't, then just go your own way, it's best not to look for her.
    In my last conversation with L she said she wasnt coming back ever, it was the 3rd time she had left since Xmas. This time it seemed final she was very cruel about it, knowin full well how upsetting it was. Maybe after afew months she will see things differently I honestly dont know. I never saw this coming, the brakedown of the friendship or how Id feel about it.

No online romantic stuff for me. It is too dangerous....easy for folks to take advantage of one. As to friends, I have been on this site for years and I consider the other members my good friends.

Quote Originally Posted by nygene40 View Post
    I don't really think of online personas as friends (with very few exceptions). Friends, for me exist in the real world, and are people I have known for years. I know them as real, flesh and blood people, with all that comes with.

Also, online "friends" are way to eager to say things that are thoughtless and rude, mostly because they aren't face to face with you.

Message boards (yes, even this one), are a lot like going to a party where you don't really know anybody... the cliques are already formed and outsiders (newbies) are left to listen to inside references and jokes.

I come here to find out about Stephen King related info. Occasionally I make the mistake of looking at one of the hot topics (politics, religion, etc...) and if I am foolish enough to add my thoughts on the subject because someone has posted something that just cries out for rebuttal, well, it just isn't worth the trouble. Insults invariably render constructive conversation impossible.

As for the rest of the board, I have to say there are a lot of funny people who say things that make me laugh. In a good way!

And Marsha, Jordan etc...keep the SK info going so that it really is worth visiting.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by nygene40 View Post
    I don't really think of online personas as friends (with very few exceptions). Friends, for me exist in the real world, and are people I have known for years. I know them as real, flesh and blood people, with all that comes with.

Also, online "friends" are way to eager to say things that are thoughtless and rude, mostly because they aren't face to face with you.

Message boards (yes, even this one), are a lot like going to a party where you don't really know anybody... the cliques are already formed and outsiders (newbies) are left to listen to inside references and jokes.

I come here to find out about Stephen King related info. Occasionally I make the mistake of looking at one of the hot topics (politics, religion, etc...) and if I am foolish enough to add my thoughts on the subject because someone has posted something that just cries out for rebuttal, well, it just isn't worth the trouble. Insults invariably render constructive conversation impossible.

As for the rest of the board, I have to say there are a lot of funny people who say things that make me laugh. In a good way!

And Marsha, Jordan etc...keep the SK info going so that it really is worth visiting.
    I disagree, actually. For the most part, online life is like everything else: you get out of it what you're willing to put into it, and on this board, especially, the debate forums are quite respectful, ad hominem attacks being the exception rather than the rule. I've been on other boards where that wasn't the case.

If I could go back in time I would just chill out an appreciate the friendship we had. Best to stay friends rather than risk losing it all. It might sound silly, but I cant play or compete on Assassins Creed anymore because we were team partners for so long.

Its good to talk to you all to see what you think.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I think it's like any friendship, with the exception being that it is somewhat easier to hide who you are online, or to present the best parts of yourself.
    Very true and it's something that everyone should keep in the back of their mind with on-line friends. You are only getting the side of them that they want to show.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Very true and it's something that everyone should keep in the back of their mind with on-line friends. You are only getting the side of them that they want to show.
    Exactly. And that makes it so easy for some to be so mean. My line of work has always dealt with data operations. I've been surfing the web since it first began. Before personal computers were common in homes. And I can tell you that during those years I've ran across some of the meanest people on this side of Creation. I've learned and mostly I limit what I post on the web, but I do observe.

Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    Exactly. And that makes it so easy for some to be so mean. My line of work has always dealt with data operations. I've been surfing the web since it first began. Before personal computers were common in homes. And I can tell you that during those years I've ran across some of the meanest people on this side of Creation. I've learned and mostly I limit what I post on the web, but I do observe.
    MadamMack its kinda scary, the shift from friendly to mean was a shock for me. Im sure Ive not handled it with dignity, but Ive been honest. The whole things kinda nuts. Can imagine Sai King makin a story out of it.

Being around the net for that long I bet youve seen it all.

Maybe its best if I do try to move on. Be more careful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    In my last conversation with L she said she wasnt coming back ever, it was the 3rd time she had left since Xmas. This time it seemed final she was very cruel about it, knowin full well how upsetting it was. Maybe after afew months she will see things differently I honestly dont know. I never saw this coming, the brakedown of the friendship or how Id feel about it.
    Well--ugh, I hate to say this because I don't want to sound mean, but it's the truth--if I were online friends with a guy who knew I was married (and I don't know that you did know that; I'm just saying IF) and told me he had feelings for me anyway, I'd drop the guy too. In a flash. My marriage comes first. I think if you have friends of the opposite gender (and you're straight), and you're married and want to stay that way, it's a good idea to keep every communication with those friends completely above board. I would also suspect that a person who knew I was married and confessed romantic feelings to me anyway would not be the kind of friend I thought he was. Meaning, I know that kind of life is okay with some people; it is not with me, and I would not develop close ties with someone who did not feel the same, female OR male.

That is one way that online relationships are actually much different from real-life ones: they can develop, and the people in your real life can be left completely clueless until one day the one spouse decides they want to turn the online relationship into a real one. It's happened to lots of people. It's wise to guard against it (if, as I say, you're married and want to preserve that).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast