Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Question about something Peter says about Carol as he narrates the story.. - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about something Peter says about Carol as he narrates the story..

Default Re: Question about something Peter says about Carol as he narrates the story..

BTW- did anyone notice the appearance of "19" more than usual in the Hearts novella?

Default Re: Question about something Peter says about Carol as he narrates the story..

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Oobleck View Post
    . Carol became more involved with things...rather than to try avoiding the issue by playing Hearts.

So do you feel Peter's addiction to Hearts was more or less a subconcious way for him not to have to think about the draft, and other things going on? I kind of thought these fools were simply addicted to cards and gambling, with little thought or awareness of what was going on in the world. It was only until Stoke fell, that Peter kind of "woke up" and was like, "WTF am I doing with my life.... Im a loser wasting his education on cards".

Yeah...boy howdy...in Knowles' story, Gene and Finny do not consciously realize what they are doing, but they do it. As a kid, watching the war on television, recess or lunch, we followed suite...no pun intended. But we also watched the reaction to the war and we followed suite. One of us...don't recall who came up w/the idea...but one day about four of my friends and I were marching around the schoolhouse....this old four-gable job w/a cast-iron bell up top. We've got our arms around each other's shoulders, chanting something about Nixon...or was LBJ still in office? Don't recall exactly and my bro isn't around to help w/my math problems anymore. Slash the 9, carry the 1. We did other things and some of that could be attributed to...whatever...youthful shenanigans, rolling these huge snowballs and putting one in front of, another behind, Mrs. Erva's big blue Buick. Had to go out at recess and move them. But seems like if we want a reason for the way children act and do the things they do, all we need do is look at our own childhood. Old man take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you were.

I think the cards were their way of....avoiding the issue...as Carol and others, Stokely I'd say...who did not avoid the issue but faced it head-on. Carol and Willie are a lot like Julia.

Without doubt, one of my favourite books. Am enjoying evesdropping on your discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    Without doubt, one of my favourite books. Am enjoying evesdropping on your discussion here.
    Well just join on in, evesdropper!

SO I finished Hearts last night (the novella section), and cant wait to finish the book itself.

It made me think of how the 60s generation was born, and how it was lost. I was in college in the mid 90s, so I obviously missed the boat on the 60s, but the decade and its history/culture fascinate me... always have.

It seems like the 60s counter-culture was really created in protest to the Vietnam War (and the draft). To think of it in those terms is sort of mindblowing to me. In other words, if not for Vietnam, would County Joe McDonald have ever stood onstage at Woodstock and sang the "I Feel Like Im Fixing To Die Rag"? Hell, would there have even been a Woodstock? Would CSNY have ever been inclined to write "Please Come to Chicago"? Would Dylan have ever sang "Masters of War", "The Times They Are a Changin", "All Along the Watchtower", or "Blowin' In the Wind", and gone on to be a voice of a generation? If not for NAM, would there have been the hippe and flower child movement? Would the Beatles have ever made experimental albums such as "Sgt Pepper" or "The White Album", if not for the counter-culture?

It's so odd how something so horrific as NAM defined almost every facet of music, style, attitudes, fashion, culture, etc. Almost everything cultural from the mid-late 60s is Vietname related.

So that's how the 60s were born.

But how were they lost?

Once Vietnam was over. Once Civil Rights were granted to Blacks. Did the hippies figure, "well, we won...", and forget about peace and love? Or did they just grow up? I suppose its one thing being a kid protesting the war, but with adulthood comes bills, medical expenses, medical problems, kids, a career, student loans, parent-teacher conferences, etc. Yeah.. i guess that's what really happened. Just human nature. Growing up. Too many adult problems to worry about peace and love...

Something had to happen after the Beats...and well, who can turn down a Ronco Peeler?

That portion of the book should have also became a movie or miniseries. The movie for Hearts in Atlantis was ok, but could have been alot better with the Peter/Carol/ Hearts game story in there. Plus I would love to see who they would have casted as Ronnie!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12