This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hermit burglars!!!

Default Re: Hermit burglars!!!

And now I have the heebie-jeebies.

Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    I was reminded of Richard Proenneke when I read this post. He lived by himself in Alaska for a few decades. He built himself a log cabin, and I remember one quote of his where he said it was a toasty 40 degrees by the fire. There's a documentary about it called 'Alone in the Wilderness'.
    I have been amazed at how warm 40 degrees can seem when you are acclimated to cold and you're out of the wind. And I was never a huge fan of cold before.

It's kind of the same here. I was 'sorta' used to temperatures hovering between -10 and 10 degrees. Once it gets around 40, and it rains instead of snows, it's almost T-shirt weather.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Last edited by PatInTheHat; April 12th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    Hmm, woulda been a whole lot funnier if I coulda got it to run on the marquis, no seriously, you'd be practically piddlin' yourself right now this second almost guaranteed..see, told ya's, just thinkin' about it is pert near killin' me

Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    I was reminded of Richard Proenneke when I read this post. He lived by himself in Alaska for a few decades. He built himself a log cabin, and I remember one quote of his where he said it was a toasty 40 degrees by the fire. There's a documentary about it called 'Alone in the Wilderness'.
    Thanks nate here is a taste of it for anyone who hasn't seen and may be interested. I thought it was pretty cool,here was a guy with know how,grit and the will to work for what he wanted,pretty skillful..good stuff..

Thanks for putting up a video mjs9153. I've seen it a few times, and simply took it for granted that others may not have. I still gotta watch the part two in its entirety. Apparently Proenneke's ambition was derived from when he was bed-ridden due to an illness when he was close to middle-aged. When he became well, he decided to make his body as strong and as healthy as he could. It's definitely an inspiring story, but I know for sure I couldn't survive all that time without the internet.

....Hoss, I will never EVER sleep again....now that the image of your tick strewn nether regions has nested in my cerebellum....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ....Hoss, I will never EVER sleep again....now that the image of your tick strewn nether regions has nested in my cerebellum....
    Dammit, GNT--I'd just managed to forget...!
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    Dammit, GNT--I'd just managed to forget...!
    Ah jeeeeeeez somehow I had missed that, key word, "had", glutton for punishment here sayin' I think I need to take a long strong dip now!

Holy smokes Hoss...hey did the thought of just throwin' yourself off the nearest cliff into a pit of raging radioactive toxic fire ever once enter your mind?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast