This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RANT!

Default Re: RANT!

It's not the pain that makes them cruel. It's what they do to the dogs mentally.

The dogs don't understand why they are being shocked, and since the barking is obviously more rewarding than the fear of shock, it makes them more likely to bark because they become more reactive to stimuli. The dogs have probably started to associate people coming to the fence, animals, whatever as the reason they are being shocked, so they bark to make them go away. It's why using pinch collars, which can be an effective training tool, can make reactive dogs more reactive: they learn that when they see a dog/human/whatever makes them react they get a pinch in the neck.

Without proper training (I don't really subscribe to the leader of the pack ideology. Dogs aren't wolves and they know humans aren't dogs. Consistency and attention, like with children, are very important), the dogs have to make their own conclusions about why they are getting shocked. Since they are under exercised, being shocked constantly, and left alone without much human interaction, it is actually a pretty dangerous situation, statistically speaking. :/

I am just sorry that animals have to suffer because of inconsiderate owners. However, equally sad that the neighbors have to suffer as well.

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

YAY! A place to vent! Well, it ticks me off I'm 20 years old and have only 2 friends. Aren't I supposed to be going to parties and getting smashed and such? I thought that was what was supposed to happen. Story of my life....

Recently a cat has been coming around our backyard. Our cat had her lady bits removed as a kitten, so I don't think thats what he's after. She hisses at him and he just runs a little ways off and then sits there looking like the cat gave the least amount of damns ever. He comes up to our back door and howls to be let in. If you give the door a littlt kick he shuts up but doesn't go away for ages. On more than one occasion we have been eating breakfast or dinner and this cat sits on the windowsill outside and just stares. He is not a feral cat as he looks well fed and clean. Also he has no fear of people. I know he lives somewhere down the block, but you can't really control what your cat gets up to. So we ignore him in the hope he will evevtually get bored. Still, I'd rather have an annoying cat than barking dogs. You have all my sympathy.

Well, you can't ever be sure about what they're after, fixed or no. I was over at a friend's place yesterday, watching through the sunroom door as her two boxers were getting it on. They are both fixed, but seemed to be enjoying themselves anyway, and appeared quite put out when she made them stop.

Also, I have a dog who won't stop humping the pillows on the couch, and she's fixed. And obviously confused. I keep thinking about 'Wilfred' - maybe I should buy her a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by doowopgirl View Post
    Recently a cat has been coming around our backyard. Our cat had her lady bits removed as a kitten, so I don't think thats what he's after. She hisses at him and he just runs a little ways off and then sits there looking like the cat gave the least amount of damns ever. He comes up to our back door and howls to be let in. If you give the door a littlt kick he shuts up but doesn't go away for ages. On more than one occasion we have been eating breakfast or dinner and this cat sits on the windowsill outside and just stares. He is not a feral cat as he looks well fed and clean. Also he has no fear of people. I know he lives somewhere down the block, but you can't really control what your cat gets up to. So we ignore him in the hope he will evevtually get bored. Still, I'd rather have an annoying cat than barking dogs. You have all my sympathy.
    This kitty isn't getting what he needs from his humans. Go have a chat with them. He's really wanting attention if he's fed and looks clean. Poor guy. I feel terrible for cats who are adopted and then promptly ignored by their humans. There's a reason they are called "domestic".

Cats are notorious roamers.

I don't know if it is a rant or not. But I did not want to post this in the Boston Thread. Some Marathon winners are angry because they do not have their medals. Really?

I can not find the link but it was on GMA.

I need to rant. I am SO FREAKING SICK of dealing with this BS of doctors not wanting to see me for an out-of state worker's comp claim, and the lack of assistance from the insurance people. I've been trying to get in with someone here for almost two whole weeks now, and missed going to Denver in part so I could deal with the medical stuff and be available if someone would get me in. And still I do not have a doctor!

I MIGHT be making some progress on this, but it is taking FOREVER, and all I want is to get some help so I can get better and go back to work...I'm certainly not looking to stay on disability for the rest of my life. You'd think the insurance company would be more helpful - they're paying me to not work, and while this is certainly nice, it ain't what I want, and it is in their interest to help me find a provider.

Yesterday, after I discovered that it might take as much as a month to get in with a closer clinic (still a 1/2 hour drive) IF they will even see me once they have the records (they got 'em today), the case manager wanted to argue with me over whether they will pay mileage for me to drive up to Columbus, to a clinic that would see me right away, if the insurance peeps would send them an authorization. Now, I don't really want to make the two-hour drive up there to get treatment...but I CANNOT wait another freaking month, either. I need another MRI run, and it is supposed to be done next week. Why can't I get any help with this???

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I just want to scream and yell and throw things.

Quote Originally Posted by doowopgirl View Post
    That's how we ended up with 9 cats. They pick their people.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast