Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
RANT! - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RANT!

Default Re: RANT!

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    I don't know if it is a rant or not. But I did not want to post this in the Boston Thread. Some Marathon winners are angry because they do not have their medals. Really?

I can not find the link but it was on GMA.
    Wow, people. Screwed up priorities much?

Quote Originally Posted by if-so-Grrl View Post
    I need to rant. I am SO FREAKING SICK of dealing with this BS of doctors not wanting to see me for an out-of state worker's comp claim, and the lack of assistance from the insurance people. I've been trying to get in with someone here for almost two whole weeks now, and missed going to Denver in part so I could deal with the medical stuff and be available if someone would get me in. And still I do not have a doctor!

I MIGHT be making some progress on this, but it is taking FOREVER, and all I want is to get some help so I can get better and go back to work...I'm certainly not looking to stay on disability for the rest of my life. You'd think the insurance company would be more helpful - they're paying me to not work, and while this is certainly nice, it ain't what I want, and it is in their interest to help me find a provider.

Yesterday, after I discovered that it might take as much as a month to get in with a closer clinic (still a 1/2 hour drive) IF they will even see me once they have the records (they got 'em today), the case manager wanted to argue with me over whether they will pay mileage for me to drive up to Columbus, to a clinic that would see me right away, if the insurance peeps would send them an authorization. Now, I don't really want to make the two-hour drive up there to get treatment...but I CANNOT wait another freaking month, either. I need another MRI run, and it is supposed to be done next week. Why can't I get any help with this???

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I just want to scream and yell and throw things.
    I'm sorry it's so difficult for you.

Allergies! SUCK!

BTW, this is an interesting Swedish experiment in which they used volunteers to train people like you would a dog with a shock collar. http://www.auf-den-hund-gekommen.net...t_2%28a%29.pdf

They trainer spoke Turkish (since dogs don't initially understand English or whatever) and used shock in a couple of different ways to try to teach the person specific behaviors.
    The shock level did not exceed a 2 on the collar (which goes from 1 to 10). It was also only in 10 minute segments and the participants could safe word if it became overwhelming.

The conclusion?
    1)The technique of escape training (-R), meaning being rewarded for accelerated

performance through the stopping of shocks when the behavior was completed was

recognized, but the stopping of the shocks was not listed as reinforcing. This meant, the

subjects did not actually find this stopping to be rewarding in any conscious manner.

2) The subjects in this experiment reacted both physically and emotionally to the shocks.

3) The subjects did not always understand what they were being trained for.

4) It was also clear that the subjects not only experienced physical discomfort during training,

but were also experiencing emotional discomfort due to the threat of and actual anticipation

of receiving shock.

This was with people who understood what the experiment was about.

It's not 100% conclusive, obviously, but it is an interesting look into what shock collars would actually do to a dog mentally over a period of time.

Not to make light of this, but have you seen the South Park episode, Tssst!? The dog whisperer comes on to help Cartman's mom train him using a two finger pinch on the neck with the Tsst sound. When my kids get especially scratchy with me, out of the blue, I will tsst! them. They always laugh and the situation is diffused.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    BTW, this is an interesting Swedish experiment in which they used volunteers to train people like you would a dog with a shock collar. http://www.auf-den-hund-gekommen.net...t_2%28a%29.pdf

They trainer spoke Turkish (since dogs don't initially understand English or whatever) and used shock in a couple of different ways to try to teach the person specific behaviors.
    The shock level did not exceed a 2 on the collar (which goes from 1 to 10). It was also only in 10 minute segments and the participants could safe word if it became overwhelming.

The conclusion?
    1)The technique of escape training (-R), meaning being rewarded for accelerated

performance through the stopping of shocks when the behavior was completed was

recognized, but the stopping of the shocks was not listed as reinforcing. This meant, the

subjects did not actually find this stopping to be rewarding in any conscious manner.

2) The subjects in this experiment reacted both physically and emotionally to the shocks.

3) The subjects did not always understand what they were being trained for.

4) It was also clear that the subjects not only experienced physical discomfort during training,

but were also experiencing emotional discomfort due to the threat of and actual anticipation

of receiving shock.

This was with people who understood what the experiment was about.

It's not 100% conclusive, obviously, but it is an interesting look into what shock collars would actually do to a dog mentally over a period of time.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

And by Swedish I meant Swiss. <This is so handy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    Not to make light of this, but have you seen the South Park episode, Tssst!? The dog whisperer comes on to help Cartman's mom train him using a two finger pinch on the neck with the Tsst sound. When my kids get especially scratchy with me, out of the blue, I will tsst! them. They always laugh and the situation is diffused.
    That is so funny! I am so using that.

But on random people

This lady can train her dog to dance to "Grease" but my neighbor can't control his dogs at all? It's just not fair.

Last edited by Lepplady; April 25th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Today's Rant-Dress code at work! People have been gripping about it for a while. We got a new president so she asks for input on the dress code. She said that yesterday she had only three people E-mail her out of 150 employees. Really!! I think that my coworkers need a to put on the big girls/boys clothes and tell her what the problem is, rather than gossip about it.

What's with the dress code?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast