This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pope Francis Supports Crackdown On US Nuns

Default Re: Pope Francis Supports Crackdown On US Nuns

We actually had "the paddle" at our Catholic school. It was used only for the worst offenses, which usually meant once or twice during the whole school year. It kind of looked like a ping pong paddle with holes drilled in it. Whoever was getting paddled would find out days ahead of time, most likely so they would experience the most anxiety possible. The whole school knew about it, too. On the appointed day, the janitor (he was the official paddler) would come to the classroom and call the deviant into the hall. This boy ( it was always a boy) usually went out smiling, to show he wasn't afraid. A few seconds later, we'd all hear two whacks in quick succession and that would be it. But the psychological repercussions linger on...

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    It's the Catholic church. It's never going to drastically change.
    Think of this way: if you were to join an exclusive club and they had rules, would you expect them to allow you to blatantly break them left and right and still be part of the club? No. I was a lapsed Catholic for many years and found my way back 5 years or so ago. I am a gay man and I deal with the Catholic Church's stance on this in my own way. What I have with my God is a personal thing. I find way too much comfort and solace in the church I attend (the clergy and the parishioners) to denounce the Catholic religion as a whole.
    I am studying the Catechism and this is from my lesson today:

God gives himself to each one of us individually, and he wants to transform us through communion with him. Once we are transformed, we are supposed to transform the world. Everything else that the Church is besides that is secondary.

I would also like to point out that the Catholic church is full of humans, ordinary people. Some better at what they do than others. While you are quite entitled to your opinion and you are quite right to ask questions, remember you had the misfortune to get a one sided answer from a narrow minded woman.

Good evening.

Thank you all for your time and comments.

My God and I have a wonderful relationship and I lean on Him heavily. My son and I have our morning and evening prayers together and it is truly comforting.

Peace.

good point, sigmund...

often, when one criticizes a church...too many feel they are also, immediately, criticizing god...

that when one mentions not liking a church, they do not like god...

belief in god is far different than a belief in a church...or a religion

the founding fathers thought that way, too...that is why the original documents are written in such a way..so as not to advocate one way of thinking against another, perfectly valid one

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    good point, sigmund...

often, when one criticizes a church...too many feel they are also, immediately, criticizing god...

that when one mentions not liking a church, they do not like god...

belief in god is far different than a belief in a church...or a religion

the founding fathers thought that way, too...that is why the original documents are written in such a way..so as not to advocate one way of thinking against another, perfectly valid one

Wow! Thank you!

So, I actually made some sense? Yay!!!! (It doesn't happen often.)

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    We had nuns that used multiple "weapons": rulers, pointers, chalkboard erasers flung at you from across the room, etc.
    ...my sixth grade teacher used the chalk projectile...and the foot launched "trash can aerial assault"....

My sister is a cloistered Benedictine nun...she lives a stricter Catholic life than the pope himself!

Last edited by FlakeNoir; April 22nd, 2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: fixed link

thanks, chris...as a very much lapsed catholic...i'm not the least bit surprised...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12