Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
I can't find a quiet place to read! - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't find a quiet place to read!

Default Re: I can't find a quiet place to read!

I have many fond memories of sitting at a table in the public library and reading books. Other than right before bed or in the bathroom, I'm lucky enough to be able to do some reading in my office at work. I've purchased a beat-up copy of The Tommyknockers to keep at home, while the hardcover of same is at work; this way I can delve into the story at both locations. When I'm alone and ready to read, I sometimes go to the computer, go to youtube and type "birds chirping" and put it at medium volume. Give it a try, it's a great way to read. Careful not to type in Magpies or Crows - that'll just get a guy mad after about two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoesalesman View Post
    I have many fond memories of sitting at a table in the public library and reading books. Other than right before bed or in the bathroom, I'm lucky enough to be able to do some reading in my office at work. I've purchased a beat-up copy of The Tommyknockers to keep at home, while the hardcover of same is at work; this way I can delve into the story at both locations. When I'm alone and ready to read, I sometimes go to the computer, go to youtube and type "birds chirping" and put it at medium volume. Give it a try, it's a great way to read. Careful not to type in Magpies or Crows - that'll just get a guy mad after about two minutes.
    The atmosphere in the public library system has changed since I was a kid.

There is no respect anymore for silence or decorum, its rather sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping View Post
    I only read audiobooks,

I can often be found at family gatherings at my house in my downstairs loo, door locked, blinds down, glass of wine on handbasin, loo seat down, me perched on it reading. Ocasionally I turn a tap on and off and bang a bit to make it sound like I'm actually doing something. I've squeezed a good half hours reading in before emerging.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I have a mental disability, so I can only read audiobooks.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    I can often be found at family gatherings at my house in my downstairs loo, door locked, blinds down, glass of wine on handbasin, loo seat down, me perched on it reading. Ocasionally I turn a tap on and off and bang a bit to make it sound like I'm actually doing something. I've squeezed a good half hours reading in before emerging.
    My family is too loud for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping View Post
    I have a mental disability, so I can only read audiobooks.
    I just thought it was funny that you said "read" audiobooks, not "listen to" audiobooks.

Not knocking audiobooks.

Reading at home can be quite difficult for me. For some reason my grandmother and mother are always asking me to do ridiculous things at the wrong time of the day. Even doing school work over at home is difficult.However at the library, it's perfect. People leave me alone over there, so it gets peaceful and they only bother me when I'm done. But living with those two at home is a living nightmare. I can never read, do my school work, or anything else because those two like to make sure my day is miserable. And it's also a pain to listen to them. Can't wait for when summer starts, I'll be moving out of that mousehole soon. Sorry I'm sounding like a rebelious teenager but I just thought I get this out there. It's just, well you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletal_Dragon View Post
    Reading at home can be quite difficult for me. For some reason my grandmother and mother are always asking me to do ridiculous things at the wrong time of the day. Even doing school work over at home is difficult.However at the library, it's perfect. People leave me alone over there, so it gets peaceful and they only bother me when I'm done. But living with those two at home is a living nightmare. I can never read, do my school work, or anything else because those two like to make sure my day is miserable. And it's also a pain to listen to them. Can't wait for when summer starts, I'll be moving out of that mousehole soon. Sorry I'm sounding like a rebelious teenager but I just thought I get this out there. It's just, well you know.
    Having been on both the giving and receiving ends of this... I give you my condolences--and also my Great Sage Wisdom: ( ) enjoy the free stuff, cooked meals, clean washing and unconditional love whilst it still rains down upon you. It will be missed.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

I tend to read in my University Library. 3rd and 4th floors are quiet floors, and on the 4th floor I pull a chair into the government documents section. No one goes there for whatever reason...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast