This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get ripped, in shape, and heavier.

LongTallSally Guest

Default Re: Time to get ripped, in shape, and heavier.

Start with really good nutrition before you even consider the supplements. Without a good diet, the supplements are a waste of good money. Make your carbs complex, stay away from white stuff - flour, sugar, rice - and stick with the higher fiber alternatives. Protein is good. You'll need it to heal and bulk up a bit. Protein can be bad for the kidneys if you overdose on it and avoid carbs in the Atkins diet style. That is hard on the body. In a balanced diet, you'll be able to add protein as long as you don't have kidney disease. If you want to be ripped, you'll have to cut the fats way down.

You sound like you are probably slender by genetics. You may have trouble bulking up as fast as you want, but you can still build strength.

I'd suggest Krav Maga for a fighting system. It's very practical and efficient. The philosophy is that you put your attacker on the ground as quickly and effectively as possible and then get yourself safe. If you're interested in UFC or MMA, then look at Krav Maga. It's an internationally recognized system used by LEO's all over the world who send their folks to train with the guys who teach the Mossad.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by if-so-Grrl View Post
    Damn, you skinny! I got 20 or so spare pounds that you can have...
    I'm 6'1" and I don't remember ever weighing 120 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    I'm 6'1" and I don't remember ever weighing 120 pounds.
    ...I weighed that at birth...momma wasn't happy....

Good luck Dave!

But please, refrain from the "I failed post" if you stopped.

I was 6'2", 155 pounds at high school graduation. I'm still 6'2" but have put on nearly 100 pounds in the last 34 years.
    I actually gained a few pounds during the last 6 months as I went through chemo - whenever I had an appetite, I'd eat and not care about the consequences. I'd like to get back down to 200. That would take a lot of discipline and a lot fewer trips to Papa Johns and my favorite Mexican restaurants.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Dave - a pretty good source of general info is Men's Health magazine. They have tons of advice on nutrition and training of all types. There are articles ranging from weight training as well as stuff you can do with no equipment at all. Lot's of good guy stuff for all ages.

http://www.menshealth.com/

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Thanks everyone! Today I am going for a jog around the neighborhood. My jog consists of about a mile and then it's push ups, sit ups, and lifting some weights. I think if I do this twice a day (excluding jogging. Only do that once.) I think it may help.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Young man wants to put on some summer muscle mass, get stretched ripped & fit, ought to think seriously about not only gettin' payed for it, but learnin' some useful skills of all kinds in the process, and landscaping, now that right there is just the perfect job to do all of that, and as it just so happens, it's the perfect time of year

excellent idea PITH!

LongTallSally Guest

Pat is right.

I gained most of my muscle working as a merchandiser, doing physical labour. Finding a very physical job can help the body while providing money!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast