Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Boston Bomber Denied Miranda Rights - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bomber Denied Miranda Rights

Default Re: Boston Bomber Denied Miranda Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Countless TV shows notwithstanding, you aren't "read your rights" when you're arrested, only before you're interrogated.

Interrogating someone without informing them of Miranda is sometimes used when quick answers are needed. The bomber can be asked if there are more bombs, if he's working with anyone else, and other questions where fast answers would be in the best interest of the public. Nothing he says can be used against him in a court of law, so he doesn't need to worry that he's confessing, which might make him more likely to offer information.

If he is informed of Miranda, then asks for an attorney, those answers may be hours, days, or even months away.

So it's a tradeoff. While his statements certainly can't be used at trial, and while new physical evidence he points them to may or may not be used at trial, they have plenty of other evidence to convict him with. Finding unexploded bombs, booby-traps, or accomplices is more important than adding new charges.
    Agreed that it's a tradeoff, and they certainly could ask him about unexploded devices and the involvement of others without reading him his rights. But any direct questions in regards to the bombs that already went off should not be asked under those circumstances.

Anyway, even if they don't read him his rights, he could still ask for an attorney, and/or refuse to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Do you believe they may not have done it Lepplady? They had a shoot-out with the cops for pity's sake. Who could have done it if not them?
    They probably did. All I'm saying is let's not throw due process out the window because of how horrible the crime was. Fry 'em, but do it legally, and make sure they really are the ones that did it. Let's have justice, not vigilantism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post

So it's a tradeoff. While his statements certainly can't be used at trial, and while new physical evidence he points them to may or may not be used at trial, they have plenty of other evidence to convict him with. Finding unexploded bombs, booby-traps, or accomplices is more important than adding new charges.
    Statements cannot be used in trial against him. If his statements lead to someone else, they can be used against that person.

~~~~

considering his medical condition when he was arrested, would reading his rights have had value? If he was unconscious or close to unconscious, is he capable of understanding those rights?

I know we have medical professionals on this board. And I say thankya.

How would you feel to take care of this person. How does one do that when perhaps their loved ones were harmed by him?

...I have to take care of inmates all the time, who have done all manner of reprehensible and horrible things...it galls me, but it is my sworn duty...and as far as the Miranda Rights, the legal precedent has been explained and if he's only partially concious-who cares?...make sure he's alert, and understands his "rights"...

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    I know we have medical professionals on this board. And I say thankya.

How would you feel to take care of this person. How does one do that when perhaps their loved ones were harmed by him?
    Because they're better than the bomber. Letting people die is murder, no better than the terrorists.

He already confessed to the person whom he kidnapped while hi-jacking his car! Also, the cops did not read the miranda rights as they did not know if he was booby trapped like his brother was. The Feds are filing charges today! He can't talk at this time as he is sedated and has a tube down his throat.

From The Daily Mirror, 4/21/2012:

Investigators will interrogate the bomber, still seriously ill last night, without reading him his rights – using special “public safety” powers.
    Last edited by Haunted; April 21st, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

There is a public safety exclusion to Miranda,such as when the police have reason to believe the actor dropped a weapon where a child might find it,etc,in this case there may be unexploded bombs in other locations just waiting to be found..or other actors involved who may take part in further terrorist activities..in general,Miranda is required when the suspect is in CUSTODY,and there are INTERROGATIVE questions..those two elements must be present for the warning to be issued,and of course the actor does not have to answer anyhow..semantics,sounds like he was shot in the throat and can't talk,though they may do written Q & A(well,written answers,but you see what I mean..)

Also from the Daily Mirror: The FBI is looking for a 12-man sleeper cell. They arrested two men and a woman friday night. The brothers were supposed to have been trained by this cell. The bombs were too sophisticated to be learned by Googling.
    Last edited by Haunted; April 21st, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I have to take care of inmates all the time, who have done all manner of reprehensible and horrible things...it galls me, but it is my sworn duty...and as far as the Miranda Rights, the legal precedent has been explained and if he's only partially concious-who cares?...make sure he's alert, and understands his "rights"...
    We all care that no technicalities lessen the charges. Miranda Rights end with "Do you understand these charges" and if the person in incapable of understanding them a semi-decent lawyer can get confessions thrown out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast