Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,276

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    I'm going back to the nipple thread. At least it has a "point".

    Yeah, I just said that...

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,030

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I'm going back to the nipple thread. At least it has a "point".

    Yeah, I just said that...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    Hoss, you obviously took what I originally posted incorrectly. So I clarified it. Yes my original post did not include “in spite of” (which was my intent), nor did it state “because of.” Yet you still contend your assertion is correct and my explanation is wrong because you somehow feel you have a vision into my soul. And you say I’m the one who is stubborn and unyielding.

    Pot calling the kettle black… oh yeah least I forget

    My theory as to why Maine is so safe is because of the caliber of people that live there. And has nothing to do with gun control laws. It is my belief that more or less gun control legislation will have little to no effect on how safe the state is.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    My theory as to why Maine is so safe is because of the caliber of people that live there.
    You're joking, right?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    You're joking, right?
    You don’t like the statement or the pun? Would it have been better if I said “quality” rather than “caliber.?”

    cal·i·ber
    noun
    Definition of CALIBER
    1a : degree of mental capacity or moral quality
    b : degree of excellence or importance


    From the Bangor Daily News:
    How safe are Mainers when it comes to gun crime in their home state?
    Very safe, according to studies and crime statistics compilations.

    A comprehensive study on gun violence conducted by the Muskie Policy Center at the University of Southern Maine in 2004 concluded that Maine had the lowest rate of firearm use in violent crimes in the country. Among its findings was the average person had a 1 in 14,136 chance of being a victim of a violent gun crime in Maine.

    The FBI’s 2008 Report on Crime in the United States ranks Maine the safest state when it comes to violent crime, with a rate of 117.5 victims per 100,000 population. It did not single out gun violence in the statistics.
    If not for the caliber (or perhaps I should say quality for PC purposes) of it’s people, why do you think it is the case that Maine has some of the lowest rate of firearm use in violent crimes in the country? One thing we do know is it’s not because of strict gun laws.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,276

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    Hoss, you obviously took what I originally posted incorrectly. So I clarified it. Yes my original post did not include “in spite of” (which was my intent), nor did it state “because of.” Yet you still contend your assertion is correct and my explanation is wrong because you somehow feel you have a vision into my soul. And you say I’m the one who is stubborn and unyielding.

    Pot calling the kettle black… oh yeah least I forget

    My theory as to why Maine is so safe is because of the caliber of people that live there. And has nothing to do with gun control laws. It is my belief that more or less gun control legislation will have little to no effect on how safe the state is.
    Ummm.... BS. You backpedal now? You were saying exactly that and once directly shown to be flawed logic, you change to "what you meant"? Horsesh!t, man.

    You say it's the type of people that live there. Have you ever lived in the country or sparsely populated areas at all for any length of time? I grew up on a remote rural farm for the majority of my formative years. So my view on this particular aspect is quite well educated and full of many examples of why I am spot on about this. The distance from humanity, cities, etc., creates a mindset where you really count on your neighbors and look out for them. You watch each other's livestock, you care about each others' families because you are all in the same difficult existence. All that adds up to, you probably won't have to shoot someone. Also, the constant presence of strangers and other people is not there. In other words, the lack of human presence frequency makes you look at your fellow humans differently and since there are just less people, it equals less violence and incidences of all kinds. So, you basically agreed with this with your "quality of character" point (which I am sure is not a suck up to anyone [writers, assistants, etc] we might know that lives in Maine )

    Which brings me to a great moment...

    The one where I bring up something you poopoo'd as so much stupidity when I stated it in another thread. I stated that more guns = more gun violence by simple math terms. Oh that is just fallacious as can be according to you! More guns will = less gun violence according to your direct words and "Likes" of the other frumpmasters' comments to that effect. Just like more hamsters = less hamster poop, right? Yet now, you are essentially agreeing with this by association. Because, argue as you like that country folk aren't this way due to the distance and isolation, but that would just be you showing you have no clue of this life and what really drives those who live it.

    And thanks for proving yet again that conservative talking points can be easily turned right back in a circle by applying logic, reality and their own words.

    But I digress, it's burrito time and I tire of this whole gun thing. Sense is not something any of the extremists are interested in... just making everyone see how "right" they THINK they are.

    I'm out beeyatches!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    Wow, the condescending and the attitude are really unnecessary.

    Both quality and caliber are insulting. There's trash everywhere. There are good people everywhere. Acting like there is a magical place where people are just better is ignorant.

    And guess what? I happen to have lived right next to your Blue Ridge Mountains, and my husband grew up right next to your Blue Ridge Mountains, and there was plenty of trash there as well. Plenty of armed trash. There just happened to be less people to shoot.

    I don't think I really need to rehash Hoss' well put post that answers your argument very well that you happen to ignore.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I'm out beeyatches!
    I'm out with you but I had to give you one of these first:


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Thornfield
    Posts
    3,472

    Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

    And we're done.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •