Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Oswald's children?? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Oswald's children??

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    i'm in the jailhouse now!
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Maybe the idea of the frailty of memory is at play? There's that business in chapter 27, the assassin's name is Oswald Rabbit...and looking at chapter 27 now...always a plus, when a question is asked, to provide a place for others to look at the scene...so I'm jogging my own memory here at 27. And I'm reminded of Duma Key...the business w/memory at play there. The confusion of words, meaning...this keyed by that Oswald Rabbit bit. But before I looked, I wondered say like maybe this is a moment of...the opposite of grace. You've heard of a story-teller needing to provide his/here "bad guy" w/a moment of grace? Maybe this is the opposite of that...a moment of...the opposite of grace...guilt...a moment of guilt, which is a kind of moment of grace for those who'd seek to find fault in any judgement of the case. They have cause, with this. There's a line in 27...but my memories of Oswald remained firm and clear...this I see as I page through 27 looking for the clue provided in the OP...looking...looking...not finding it yet, but there is more concerned w/memory...I started awake at dawn from some unremembered dream...lying to her about all the things you claim not to remember....I dunno...didn't find the sequence in 27...or wait not, here it is, 701...

    Seems like Jake is questioning everything....information he wants/needs, isn't in the notes...time seems of the essence. I'm not seeing where Jake is surprised by...what? the birth of a second child?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    I'll check with Ms. Mod once she's back in the office. (May 1st)
    Who is Ms. Mod?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    The FIRST TIME that Jake sees that Marina is pregnant is BEFORE his encounter with the mob boss and the head injury that he sustained, therefore his memory was completely clear at that time.

    I don't remember the exact quote, I can go find it, but Jake says something to the effect of: "Al, you forgot to mention this little detail. Pregnant.. Marina was pregnant. Would this change my actions? Probably not, but it was certainly interesting".

    That's a rather weak paraphrase, but more or less the gist of it.

    Then in the later chapter. 27 I think, where he talks about Al's footnotes, he says clearly "Marina goes to Parkland hospital to give birth to second baby".

    So this seems to have been a mistake by King, but I'm not sure. Was always wondering about this...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,901

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping View Post
    Who is Ms. Mod?
    Ms. Mod has been Stephen's Personal Assistant for over 20 years and is also the Moderator of this MB. (Dana Jean and I are only filling in for her while she is away on vacation. We also moderate during after hours (4pm-8:30am on weekdays) and during the weekends.)
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,901

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping View Post
    The FIRST TIME that Jake sees that Marina is pregnant is BEFORE his encounter with the mob boss and the head injury that he sustained, therefore his memory was completely clear at that time.

    I don't remember the exact quote, I can go find it, but Jake says something to the effect of: "Al, you forgot to mention this little detail. Pregnant.. Marina was pregnant. Would this change my actions? Probably not, but it was certainly interesting".

    That's a rather weak paraphrase, but more or less the gist of it.

    Then in the later chapter. 27 I think, where he talks about Al's footnotes, he says clearly "Marina goes to Parkland hospital to give birth to second baby".

    So this seems to have been a mistake by King, but I'm not sure. Was always wondering about this...
    Without going back and reading through the parts you're describing, I can't give you any definitive feedback on this. (and sorry, but I just don't have time to do this at present) But as I'd previously stated, I'll be checking with Ms. Mod for you once she is back in the office, in the mean time, perhaps you could remember that Stephen is only human and if he did happen to get it wrong, ask yourself whether or not you still enjoyed the story overall? Is knowledge of that likely to alter your life in any dramatic way?
    I'm sorry if this may seem a little harsh, but for all the things that Stephen does get right, there are still folks out there that seem to find it very important to go over his work with a fine-toothed-comb until they can shout triumphantly that "by God, I've found something he got wrong!"

    Again, we're human and therefore we won't always get everything right. Having said that--I still don't know if this was actually a mistake or not. We will get back to you.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    I'm sorry if this may seem a little harsh, but for all the things that Stephen does get right, there are still folks out there that seem to find it very important to go over his work with a fine-toothed-comb until they can shout triumphantly that "by God, I've found something he got wrong!"
    Not a thing in the world wrong with that, despite how you decided to portray it. Goofs, bloopers, and continuity errors provide harmless fun for lots of people. My own favorite was in Night of the Living Dead:


    The film takes place at night, but the "live" newscasts on the television are all daytime scenes.


    When each Bratling gets old enough to watch the show, I ask the boy "What's wrong with this scene?" The two who have watched it so far have both figured it out.

    The geography of Texas alone that Mr. King got all screwy in 11/22/63 could fill (and probably has) a messageboard thread. That didn't cause me to enjoy the novel any less, however.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    Without going back and reading through the parts you're describing, I can't give you any definitive feedback on this. (and sorry, but I just don't have time to do this at present) But as I'd previously stated, I'll be checking with Ms. Mod for you once she is back in the office, in the mean time, perhaps you could remember that Stephen is only human and if he did happen to get it wrong, ask yourself whether or not you still enjoyed the story overall? Is knowledge of that likely to alter your life in any dramatic way?
    I'm sorry if this may seem a little harsh, but for all the things that Stephen does get right, there are still folks out there that seem to find it very important to go over his work with a fine-toothed-comb until they can shout triumphantly that "by God, I've found something he got wrong!"

    Again, we're human and therefore we won't always get everything right. Having said that--I still don't know if this was actually a mistake or not. We will get back to you.
    This post wasn't intended as a "Haha, Stephen King made a mistake".

    It was meant as a curious inquiry into a detail of the book that confused me.

    I found this little contradiction to be interesting.

    None of this alters anyone's life in a dramatic way, its meant to be a fun message board to discuss the books we read.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,901

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping View Post
    This post wasn't intended as a "Haha, Stephen King made a mistake".

    It was meant as a curious inquiry into a detail of the book that confused me.

    I found this little contradiction to be interesting.

    None of this alters anyone's life in a dramatic way, its meant to be a fun message board to discuss the books we read.
    Oh, I see. In the past there have been numerous times when people have come to the board with exactly that "Haha, Stephen King made a mistake" tone to their messages. But I do apologise to you JakeEpping, if I have mistakenly put you into that category.
    (I think I may have thought this because you'd continued to question it even after I'd already mentioned to you that the matter would be handled around May 1st.)
    But again, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted.

    And yes, absolutely it is a fun message board with great discussion on books and so much more.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Oswald's children??

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping View Post
    Who is Ms. Mod?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    i'm in the jailhouse now!
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Oswald's children??


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •