This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does Stephen King choose character names?

Post Re: How does Stephen King choose character names?

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    There are a number of online random name generators. The writing program Scrivener has one built in that is really powerful.
    Very true. I know that Mr. King has long established--and successfully--his own methods for creating his characters, so this post is more for the other writers out there who struggle with names and basic character creation. The tools used by the various generators differ significantly in both scope and complexity. I'm familiar only with the last one (I should be, since I made it), so there may be settings and tools that I don't know about, but here are some examples of the characters or names each generates:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivener (using the American setting)

Caden Reyes
    Chevelle Serrano
    Leigh Ann Ellis
    Jasontae Dennis
    Jaelin Mcfarland

Quote Originally Posted by Behind the Name (using the English setting, 0, 1, 2, & 3 middle names)

Alyse Turnbull
    Totty Leanne Madison
    Elijah Ralph Teddy Bannerman
    Rosalynne Lois Talitha Monica Way

Quote Originally Posted by Write it Now (generic settings)

Alejandra Adah Kamat
    Created with the Myers-Briggs Personality Types personality data using the Character type 'ESFP'.
    Alejandra dismisses any long-term consequences. She needs to be the centre of attention. She learns best from hands-on experience. She has smooth inter-personal skills.
    Comedian Bob Hope is like this.
    Alejandra has a full mouth and her eyes are adorable and brown. She always rubs her hands when she is introduced. Alejandra drinks slowly and has good health. She has a unique look. She is extremely plain. She would say jewels are not needed.

Drew Joe Tutela
    Created with the Enneagram personality data using the Character type 'TYPE4'.
    His reckless behaviour has caused some problems. He always stands out. He has to be an individual. Drew is susceptible to emotional ups and downs.
    The writer Franz Kafka is similar to this.
    Drew eats all the time and his pulse rate is high. He loves clothes. His eyes are very even. He is quite short. He looks weak. He has large hands and his eyes are strange and dark brown.

Shelly Lucia Karner
    Created with the Enneagram personality data using the Character type 'TYPE8'.
    When feeling relaxed Shelly is very generous. When she first meets people they find her abrupt. She makes critical decisions and never vacillates. She can be quite abrasive.
    US President Franklin Roosevelt is one well-known example of this type.
    Shelly is quite plain. She is graceful and is very lithe. Her blood pressure is high and she exercises all the time.

Camron Codi Leabow
    Created with the Archetypes personality data using the Character type 'Trickster'.
    Recently Camron had a nervous breakdown. He wants danger. He seeks adventure. He almost always wants to take risks.
    The Joker in Batman is a typical example of this.
    Camron looks fit. He is moderately tall. He has perfect health. He looks quite attractive.

Gladys Gertrudis Gertsch
    Created with the Archetypes personality data using the Character type 'Hero'.
    Her strong moral sense guides her actions. She supports what is right. She believes in fairness. She has a few followers.
    Luke Skywalker in 'Star Wars' is one well-known example of this type.
    Her clothes are too old. Gladys has a stutter and has a birth mark on her arm. She is fairly tall. Her smile can be friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramatica (using generic settings)

Jeanpaul
    Male

Jeanpaul's Characteristics:
    * Motivation:
    Avoidance
    Help
    Reconsider
    Temptation
    * Methodology:
    Evaluation
    Induction
    Potentiality
    Reaction
    Reduction
    * Evaluation:
    Cause
    Expectation
    Process
    Test
    Unproven
    * Purpose:
    Equity
    Perception
    Thought

Quote Originally Posted by SaD People Maker (story date set to November 01, 2013)

Leah Navarro Name means: Love | Plains in the Hills
    Born November 29, 1979 Born on Thursday (Far to Go) Sign: Sagittarius (Independence and Adventure)
    Sex: F Age: 33.9 Ht: 5' 4'' Wt: 115# Hair: Strawberry Blond Eyes: Ultramarine

Dorian Navarro Name means: unknown / family name | Plains in the Hills
    Born January 25, 1992 Born on Saturday (Works Hard) Sign: Aquarius (Freedom and Excitement)
    Sex: M Age: 21.7 Ht: 5' 9'' Wt: 155# Hair: Dark Blond Eyes: Sea Green

Jesse Martin Name means: Gift | Warlike
    Born March 12, 1994 Born on Saturday (Works Hard) Sign: Pisces (Spirituality and Intuition)
    Sex: M Age: 19.6 Ht: 5' 9'' Wt: 139# Hair: Sandy Brown Eyes: Chocolate Brown

Joshua Martin Name means: God is Salvation | Warlike
    Born October 24, 1961 Born on Tuesday (Full of Grace) Sign: Scorpio (Passion and Extremes)
    Sex: M Age: 52.0 Ht: 5' 9'' Wt: 142# Hair: Salt and Pepper Eyes: Dark Brown

Rachael Echeverria Name means: Ewe | New House
    Born March 25, 1981 Born on Wednesday (Full of Woe) Sign: Aries (Adventure and Enthusiasm)
    Sex: F Age: 32.6 Ht: 5' 6'' Wt: 128# Hair: Chestnut Eyes: Dark Blue

Default Re: How does Stephen King choose character names?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Yes, he has a baby name book, has used a phone book, names he's heard or read elsewhere, and a lot of family/friend/business associate names get used. Not sure if he keeps the baby name book and phone book on his desk--I don't remember ever seeing them but I know he's mentioned having used them in the past.
    Having visited Bangor multiple times, I've seen where Flagg and Deschain may have come from!

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...do tell...examples?....and he's more preposterous than say Jordy Verill?...c'mon, it ain't an easy job to come up with names to hang on his "people", but there are many-to use your word "preposterous" names in real life...not like Unca Steve would have randomly chosen REAL monikers like "Moon-Unit" or "Weezer" out of the phone book...
    Hey now... Jordy Verrill is one of the best names in all of literature.

I wonder if anyone named thier children after a SK name.

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    I wonder if anyone named thier children after a SK name.
    Probably. I know a guy who named his kid Lestat....

That's funny, I guess. Can you imagine a bunch of little Rolands and Eddies in the playground?

I'd be interested in knowing how Stephen arrived at the name Jud Crandall. The name just seems to fit the character.

He seems to use a lot of French names, But I guess that comes from Maine being somewhat close to Quebec, Canada.

I just thought he liked to used names that sound weird and unique. Delecroix, Kaspbrak, Hanscom, Edgecomb, Amberson. I'd never heard of any of those names until I read them in Kings books.

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    He seems to use a lot of French names, But I guess that comes from Maine being somewhat close to Quebec, Canada.
    You're on the right track. There are a lot of people who live here who are of French descent in part due to emigrating through from Canada. Northern Maine (Aroostook County, known locally just as The County) has a lot of that influence and their regional accent and colloquialisms reflect that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast