Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What gives you the Heebie Jeebies? - Page 7

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 114 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: What gives you the Heebie Jeebies?

Default Re: What gives you the Heebie Jeebies?

I had a Chaco Golden Knee spiderling...that my cat Kramer killed because he knocked the cage over.

The only spiders that eek me out are Recluse, and that's because they are simultaneously ugly and I've been bitten by one.

me vs the critters..pt 1

had a lil' ol' garden snake in the back yard..the wife 'n kids called for me to get rid of it..so, not wanting to actually touch the dang thing...i tried to lift it with a shovel, figuring i'd do the right thing an dtoss it way out back in an open field...i was being gentle,. but the sucker wriggled off and tucked in a corner...so i tried one of those 4-5 prong rakes, still being gentle..only the sucker reared back and hissed or something...and one of the kids yelped "hey..is that a rattler ?!?
    needless to say i beat the damned thing in two...

me vs critters pt 2...one night...quite a few years back...while being very tired and trying to fall into deep slumberland..i kept feeling something brush against my chest..no matter what i did...couldn't get it to stop..so, i drifted up from said slumber, yanked back the covers...and there was a mouse sitting on my chest...he jumped...i jumped...we both flew different directions...

me vs critters pt 3

now...at the time of that last one, i lived (with my aging, somewhat paranoid grandmother) in a small farm house, just a wee bit out in the country...so we got critters thru the yard as you will when out in country..but rarely any big ones in/near the house...nonetheless..i had a few cats to keep the unwanted ones at bay...they like that sort of thing, cats do

so, about a year later... i was awoken form a sleep to hear some noise...it was soft, but persistant...i tried to ignore it..but it kept coming...so i got up and followed it...it was coming from the upstairs bathroom..so, i went in, flipped on the light: the noise got more...insistent...

...it was coming from the shower stall...so i walked over. through the pebbled glass, i could see a large dark shape, and i had a large black cat...so i opened the door..

i don't know what the f$%# that was...but it was bigger than my cat and it was not my cat !!

it ran right by me, i, being stunned, followed...it slammed against a wall...and went thru the only open door...

my grandmothers...shi....ooooottt !!

see...........you have to understand, if i went in...i'd have to tell her...and if i told her...i'd be up all night until we found...whatever it was....so....

yes...i went back to sleep...told myself i'd probably/must've dreamed the whole thing...granny always got up in the a.m., put on some tea, and watched her soaps...that's when i went and checked out the sitch', knowing i'd be totally uninterrupted...not having to explain...still don't know what the heck that was...or where it went...

Like I said, not much scares me, but a few things do give me heebie-jeebies, just on grounds of general ickiness...like ticks. Man, if I find a tick on one of my dogs, or if a friend has a tick, I swear my skin just starts a'crawlin'...Yuck. And the very idea of bedbugs...shudder. Never had 'em, never want to. I was in a hotel one time, some woman was doing a lot of laundry whilst I was doing mine; she said they had 'em in her room. I didn't sleep so easy after that, and if it hadn't been for the fact that my company was footing the bill, I'd have gone to a different hotel. Cockroaches gross me out as well.

Spiders don't bother me (unless they're poisonous) - I'm happy to have them around, because they eat bugs. Also, you know, crabs are essentially sea spiders, and they're delicious. Which makes me wonder - if you boiled up spider legs from a huge spider, might they be delicious too? Have to be an awfully big one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by if-so-Grrl View Post
    Which makes me wonder - if you boiled up spider legs from a huge spider, might they be delicious too? Have to be an awfully big one, though.
    You fry 'em, actually. They're big in Cambodian cuisine.

Do they use the whole spider, or just the legs? ('Cause spider guts don't sound so tasty...)

Quote Originally Posted by if-so-Grrl View Post
    Do they use the whole spider, or just the legs? ('Cause spider guts don't sound so tasty...)
    The whole spider, but I'm not sure if they're gutted first or not. I'd say probably not, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    The whole spider, but I'm not sure if they're gutted first or not. I'd say probably not, though.

I suppose cleaning spiders would be a bit harder than cleaning crabs...still -

The story I am going to relate is weird but true. I was in the bathroom of my previous house and it was located out in the country. I look in the toilet and there is a tree frog on the inside of the toilet. How it go there-I am not sure-but was it was freaky to see a tree frog in the toilet.

I had fotgotten all about rats, and Sharks. When I was a kid we went to a sea-life centre while on holiday and they had a shark room. You know those aquarium style rooms with the tanks all around the walls and the ceilings? Well they had chosen some creepy music to play out into this room and there were sharks everywhere. I suppose in my child mind they all looked like great whites, yet in reality they were probably only little, but it terrified. The music, combined with how many there seemed to be, not just in a tank at a distance, but all around us, was horrible.

And Jaws does nothing to encourage me that it's an irrational fear.

The other thing that creeps me out are large, open, empty spaces. I love small spaces, the smaller the better and the more safe I feel. When I lived with my parents we lived in the middle of the countryside and our house wasn't even in the village but kind of half a mile away, so whenever I wanted to catch a bus I would have to walk along an unpaved country road, surrounded by nothing but fields just to get to the village. I used to be certain I could hear things, whispering usually, in the bushes around me. I'd usually end up running a good portion of the journey just to get it over quicker.

Also the idea of Aliens freak me out. Not just because movies always seem to portray them as destructive or murderous (well not all Alien movies, but it would be fair to say a large chunk) but because I don't like the idea of being visited by a species that is so much more advanced than us. It unnerves me. I think that comes down to the fact that Humans are hostile and the chances of us attacking them out of an irrational fear is probably quite high and if they are advanced enough to reach earth from wherever the hell they come from in the universe, it means they are probably advanced enough to crush us into oblivion if they felt like it.
    Its irrational but I do find myself having quite a few nightmares about it.

Page 7 of 114 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast