This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: nice article HuffPost

Default nice article HuffPost

Hi to everybody,

just read this nice article. Here is the link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-h...m_hp_ref=books

Default Re: nice article HuffPost

Alas, there are fewer and fewer place like Experienced Books. That was a very touching news article. Thanks Niro!

That was a very sweet article. That would be my kind of bookstore, for sure.

A wonderful testimony to books, independent book stores and their owners, and librarians. I'm going to see if I can find Mr. Hanagarne's book. THANKS, Niro!!

P. S. It comes out 2 May. Found this on Amazon:

An inspiring story of how a Mormon kid with Tourette’s found salvation in books and weight-lifting

Josh Hanagarne couldn’t be invisible if he tried. Although he wouldn’t officially be diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome until his freshman year of high school, Josh was six years old and onstage in a school Thanksgiving play when he first began exhibiting symptoms. By the time he was twenty, the young Mormon had reached his towering adult height of 6’7” when—while serving on a mission for the Church of Latter Day Saints—his Tourette’s tics escalated to nightmarish levels.

Determined to conquer his affliction, Josh underwent everything from quack remedies to lethargy-inducing drug regimes to Botox injections that paralyzed his vocal cords and left him voiceless for three years. Undeterred, Josh persevered to marry and earn a degree in Library Science. At last, an eccentric, autistic strongman—and former Air Force Tech Sergeant and guard at an Iraqi prison—taught Josh how to “throttle” his tics into submission through strength-training.

Today, Josh is a librarian in the main branch of Salt Lake City’s public library and founder of a popular blog about books and weight lifting—and the proud father of four-year-old Max, who has already started to show his own symptoms of Tourette’s.

The World’s Strongest Librarian illuminates the mysteries of this little-understood disorder, as well as the very different worlds of strongman training and modern libraries. With humor and candor, this unlikely hero traces his journey to overcome his disability— and navigate his wavering Mormon faith—to find love and create a life worth living.
    Last edited by Haunted; April 26th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.

This reminds me of a book store we have in LA.

http://lastbookstorela.com/

I wish it was closer to me.

...nice piece of writing...

What a wonderful article! I'd love to have visited that shop and met that gentleman.

Aw, I was getting teary, but I held it together until he said that Mr. Clawson had passed.