This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Rose Madder Matters!

Default Rose Madder Matters!

Only if you've been there can you understand Rose's place. When Stephen King mentions the coppery smell on page 8 it says it all. . I was an abused wife and embarrassed and confused and afraid. I made it out . I had a friend who was married to a police officer,and I knew she was being abused. I gave her my copy of Rose Madder because I didn't know how to broach the subject of her abuse with her. She didn't confide in me, I just knew from having been there myself.
    She didn't want to read a 'scary book' as she called it, but by page 10 she knew why I had given it to her. She is successfully living on her own now.
    It saved her life, I am convinced of this.

Thank you
    Thank you
    and thank you again Stephen King for attacking the issue of abuse with this book. It was a bold brave act and you deserve credit and respect!

jj

Default Re: Rose Madder Matters!

Thank you, and welcome to the boards.

Congratulations and Welcome. I have never experienced spousal abuse, but I know it takes incredible courage to remake your life. Keep on keeping on.

....wow, wow, wow....that was....powerful-another reminder of how much of an impact our Inkslinger has, without setting to take a stand necessarily...I am so damned happy for the both of you...does my heart good, that you both found the Amazon within...

Quote Originally Posted by jjwitch View Post
    Only if you've been there can you understand Rose's place. When Stephen King mentions the coppery smell on page 8 it says it all. . I was an abused wife and embarrassed and confused and afraid. I made it out . I had a friend who was married to a police officer,and I knew she was being abused. I gave her my copy of Rose Madder because I didn't know how to broach the subject of her abuse with her. She didn't confide in me, I just knew from having been there myself.
    She didn't want to read a 'scary book' as she called it, but by page 10 she knew why I had given it to her. She is successfully living on her own now.
    It saved her life, I am convinced of this.

Thank you
    Thank you
    and thank you again Stephen King for attacking the issue of abuse with this book. It was a bold brave act and you deserve credit and respect!

jj
    You deserve credit, too, for helping out a friend. You paved a way for her through your own experience. You decided to become involved, to ignore fears which tell lies like it's none of my business.

Just found these boards and had to post. I've been a King reader for years. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have also been in a long term abusive relationship. I read Rose Madder initially whilst in the relationship and felt quite a deep connection with Rosie. It wasn't until I found the courage to leave the relationship (ironically in an almost identical way to Rosie, although I didn't have the 'luxury' of a front door to walk out of) that I really really identified with her character, especially in the opening few chapters where she leaves her old life behind and embarks on discovering a world completely alien to her. Also the fear, not only in the initial leaving of the marital home, but beyond that. The constant terror of expecting that abuser to find you. I think the OP is totally right in that, once you've been there, this novel really takes on a whole new meaning.

I am especially glad to hear of not one, but two happy endings.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I just really had to have my say on this!