This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the best King books?

Default Re: What are the best King books?

Under the Dome is phenomenal. You can't go wro with that. But you'd probably enjoy Lisey's Story as well

Well you got your answer, but seriously-any King novel is worth the read imho. I've found the 'more realistic' are probably more terrifying . However I've rarely found any King book unsatisfying-so rare infact I can only think of two stories that I just didn't care much for (The Colorado Kid an Deloris Clayborne-I think that was her name). Ofcourse some made better movies than books for me. Just my own opinon. Normaly I prefer the book to the movie version

I thought the Green mile was awesome. I really enjoyed reading carrie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother
    First, Under the Dome is quite different than 11/22/63. I categorize UTD along with Needful Things and The Regulators as it is

about a small town and what happens to the people when put in bizarre situations caused by outside "force/s."
    You stated in your first post that you liked the more realistic SK works. UTD doesn not really fall into that category.
    Second, I doubt you will get any real spoilers from the TV commercials for UTD. But if you are really concerned with this happening, can't you just not watch when they come on?
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping
    Your post had too many spoilers

I realized that after posting and then when I went back to edit, I noticed the spoiler wrap icon is gone. What's with that?
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; May 17th, 2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags and quotes

When you want to use the Spoiler icon, go to the advanced area and it will pull it up. It's next to the save button down at the bottom when you post your message.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother
    First, Under the Dome is quite different than 11/22/63. I categorize UTD along with Needful Things and The Regulators as it is about a small town and what happens to the people when put in bizarre situations caused by outside "force/s." You stated in your first post that you liked the more realistic SK works. UTD doesn not really fall into that category.
    Second, I doubt you will get any real spoilers from the TV commercials for UTD. But if you are really concerned with this happening, can't you just not watch when they come on?

Your post had too many spoilers

I realized that after posting and then when I went back to edit, I noticed the spoiler wrap icon is gone. What's with that?
    Last edited by Dana Jean; May 16th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

So Under the Dome is ruined for me now

Quote Originally Posted by JakeEpping View Post
    I have gone back and added spoiler tags to the posts. Very sorry about that, it's always a bit of a risk on an author MB when reading posts, I'd still recommend reading it, as there is so much more to UTD than that basic outline.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

I have loved all those I have read so far, Four past midnight, The Stand, Under the dome, Insomnia, IT, The dark half, 112263 but the Dark tower series which I have had read twice over now will always be my favourites, absolutely awesome!!!!

That was a great Willie Nelson tune

But I do think there are 2 categories of King books, the ones that are just designed to
    scare you and freak you out, and then there are the more quiet and thoughtful ones
    usually set in Maine, with a lot of introspection and pathos.

Shawshank Redemption, for instance, is a heartfelt human story, whereas something like
    The Shining is just purely terrifying.

I've always found the former category very moving, and hope for books in that genre.

11/22/63 was perfect in that regard.

Thanks for all the recommendations though... (will probably try Full Dark, No Stars...)
    Then give Hearts in Atlantis a go...Lisey's Story...Duma Key (Minnesota/Florida setting)...all of them as I said. I've never been inclined to hunt down a writer and say hey thanks for the stories...but Hearts in Atlantis put me over the top...and when I read the Afterword to Bag of Bones, I was off to the races.

Absolutely not. I did not give away anything that you could not glean from reading the inside flap/back cover.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast