This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Near & dear to my heart

Default Re: Near & dear to my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Gardener View Post
    Hi All, first post here.

I have been reading this forum for a couple years but just never registered. Reading this topic tonight spurred me to finally create an account, simply because this book means so much to me. I am a lifelong Stephen King fan, have pretty much everything he's written and have read most of them at least twice, some 3 and 4 times. This is the book that introduced me to Mr. King and changed my world literally. I read it when I was in high school and it moved me beyond words. Immediately after, I began collecting his books as fast as I could and devouring them one after another.

The Talisman, though will always be the pinnacle for me. I re-read it recently for the first time in probably 10 years and found it every bit as magical as I remember. I could go on for paragraphs, but I'll spare you that. There are so many highlights to the story. Speedy Parker, Wolf, The Sunlight Home, Thayer School and Richard Sloat, The Train ride through the blasted lands, the Black Hotel.....what a phenomenal story. Kudos to Mr. Straub as well.
    ...it's neat for me, coz every time I do a re-read...I continually try to pick out which parts were done by each writer...and I probably flop horribly, but that just adds to the inherent magic of the tale...

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    It's my favorite of Mr. King's, and I don't care what part of it is King and what part is Straub. It's a seamless joint authorship for me and I am always magically lost when I read it.
    I absolutely agree that it's seamless, I loved it when I read it and would like to read Black House.

Quote Originally Posted by talldreads View Post
    Could not agree with you more! This is exactly how I feel whenever I read this book! All I want to know is WHY haven't this EXCELLENT story ever been made into a movie?
    There is a thread somewhere here about a movie version of the Talisman and its journey thru the Hell that is Hollywood. If they ever do make a movie of it I hope it'll be done like the Lord Of The Rings- the snovel is so rich with characters and storyline that it needs at least 6 hours to get it all on film. ********SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!******** Otherwise, the story will be this:

Jack and his Mother are in an Atlantic oceanside hotel, Jack goes to the beach and meets an old black guy who gives him a bottle of something to drink, Jack wakes up in a field in another land, Jack travels twenty miles where he meets a bad man, then meets a nice wolfman, takes out the bottle and takes a drink and wakes up on the beach next to a run-down hotel on the Pacific ocean, Jack goes inside and gets into a fight with an evil creature, takes another drink from his bottle and is transported to his Mother's hotel room.
    The End.
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; October 23rd, 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

I remember my high school English teacher discussing The Talisman with me after class, we were both Stephen King fans. Many moons ago but sitting down and discussing a S.K. book with another fan is a conversation I'm always up to having.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12