This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why did the superflu come to be called "Captain Tripps" ?

Default Re: why did the superflu come to be called "Captain Tripps" ?

I always thought it was a regional variant. While it's been a bit since I've read it, if memory serves it originated in California. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a memory of reading the explanation for this somewhere; I just can't remember what book it's in, and I'm too lazy/tired to research it!

I am currently reading the Stand, about 70% in, and unless I have missed something obvious, I don't think it was fully explained. Just that different states called it different things. I just figured it was Captain because it was assumed in California to be a millitary creation, and Trips because of the delusional state towards the end, as in a Trip/Tripping out. Either way, I think it is a brilliant name - it sounds like a wrestler or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    If what you are saying is true then the name could have easily been Captain Throne........
    ...or Admiral Outhouse.....

Captain Trips, also known as Dr. Mark Meadows, is a character from the Wild Cards series of books. Meadows is a renowned biochemist and a burned-out hippie, with the ability to use various drugs (usually derivations of psychoactive drugs such as LSD) to transform into several other forms, each with their own powers and individual personalities. Trips himself and several of his alternate forms would be considered Aces in the lexicon of the Wild Cards universe, though a few of his "friends" (as he terms them) could be classified as Jokers. It is theorized that since all Meadow's "friends" and their powers are ultimately derived from Meadows himself, that he is essentially the ultimate manifestation of the Wild Card virus.

Found this??

..."Oh Captain, my Captain"....

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I think GNTLGNTs' answer was the best ; Captain trips is a nickname of Jerry Garcia , and " Captain trips is touring the world with the dead."

...I really AM a genius............not.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12