This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: sad disappointment

Default Re: sad disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Varicelli View Post
    Yes...even a pale carbon copy of a great King story and characters are going to be intriguing. If we were talking about Stanley Kubrick and The Shining, I'd be inclined to think your people at least got a good show (a brilliant show, in fact)... but this is not the case here. King's characters are just more interesting than these knock-offs, sad to say. I'm sure people who haven't read the novel will enjoy it, but they don't know what they are missing, so I guess ignorance is bliss.

Yea, you said it right there. I wish I would've seen the series before I read the book. I couldn't stomach the show even though I expected it to be somewhat different from the novel as they always are. The thing is it's not somewhat different, it's a whole new animal. I wish they could've just stuck to the already impeccable material of King's. I guess in this case it's like King said though, wish in one hand, sh!t in the other, see which one fills up first. Happy for all the ones that can get past what I can't and actually enjoy the show. Cheers!

Quoting Anthony Varicelli:

but this is not the case here. King's characters are just more interesting than these knock-offs, sad to say.
    Sir, how can you tell the TV characters are not interesting, you have just met them once.

I saw the pilot ep. online last night. I wasn't entirely crazy about it, but Im not a huge tv fan anyhow. And Uncle Steve's novels are always, IMO, better than the movie/tv show, simply due to the fact that he is such a great writer, and I dont think you can translate his brilliance from the page to the screen 100%.

However, like others have said, if you view the show as an entirely different from the book, and not compare them, you may enjoy it better.

The pros:
    The casting is great (and forgive me for not knowing all the actor's names here). Dale and Julia look almost exactly as I had imagined them while reading the novel, and they seem to be able to really bring those characters to life with their acting ability. I enjoy "Hank" from Breaking Bad as Big Jim, although, while reading, I pictured Jim totally different than "Hank". But Im pleasantly surpised.

The cons:
    Well... and this is where you have to try to separate the book from the show. The radio station isn't a Christian station, but a Top 40 Pop Rock station. The newspaper isn't The Democrat, but The Independent. Julia is married. Rusty is on the outside of the Dome, and is a fireman instead of a Physicians Assistant. I know it sounds nit picky, but even these small changes kind of made the premise seem unfamiliar. Like the show is going a totally different direction, and that's ok... Im gonna keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    I saw the pilot ep. online last night. I wasn't entirely crazy about it, but Im not a huge tv fan anyhow. And Uncle Steve's novels are always, IMO, better than the movie/tv show, simply due to the fact that he is such a great writer, and I dont think you can translate his brilliance from the page to the screen 100%.

However, like others have said, if you view the show as an entirely different from the book, and not compare them, you may enjoy it better.

The pros:
    The casting is great (and forgive me for not knowing all the actor's names here). Dale and Julia look almost exactly as I had imagined them while reading the novel, and they seem to be able to really bring those characters to life with their acting ability. I enjoy "Hank" from Breaking Bad as Big Jim, although, while reading, I pictured Jim totally different than "Hank". But Im pleasantly surpised.

The cons:
    Well... and this is where you have to try to separate the book from the show. The radio station isn't a Christian station, but a Top 40 Pop Rock station. The newspaper isn't The Democrat, but The Independent. Julia is married. Rusty is on the outside of the Dome, and is a fireman instead of a Physicians Assistant. I know it sounds nit picky, but even these small changes kind of made the premise seem unfamiliar. Like the show is going a totally different direction, and that's ok... Im gonna keep watching.
    I could see a faithful reader tripping ever so lightly over your stated cons, but the story did not suffer because of them. IMHO

I knew in the first five minutes that they had made significant changes from the book. But I expected that.
    The Wife kept asking me questions that I couldn't answer (she hasn't read the book).
    Biggest issue I had was that sure seemed to be a LOT of commercials, but I guess they gotta pay for it somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by nebogatoff View Post
    The Wife kept asking me questions that I couldn't answer (she hasn't read the book).
    Same boat here. But that's not so bad.

I agree, the TV production is terrible, not just the changing of the great story, but the characters are terrible, the acting and staging is poor, etc. I was laughing at the fire scene in E02, it was terrible.

Mr. King has said it best: The great story has not changed, it's there in the pages of the book anytime someone wants to revisit.
    I'm enjoying the show so far. The fire scene was funny to me and my husband, too. I'd explain why, but I don't know how to create spoiler tags as of yet. That scene actually added to my enjoyment of the show so far. Looking forward to episode 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Justashortimer View Post
    Mr. King has said it best: The great story has not changed, it's there in the pages of the book anytime someone wants to revisit.
    I'm enjoying the show so far. The fire scene was funny to me and my husband, too. I'd explain why, but I don't know how to create spoiler tags as of yet. That scene actually added to my enjoyment of the show so far. Looking forward to episode 3.
    To use the Spoiler tags:

* Click Go Advanced

* Highlight the text you'd like to put behind a

Spoiler Button

*Click on the Spoiler button icon. (looks like a red stop sign with a white horizontal line running through the middle)

Your highlighted text should now be behind a Spoiler button, go ahead and submit reply as per normal.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    To use the Spoiler tags:

* Click Go Advanced

* Highlight the text you'd like to put behind a

Spoiler Button

*Click on the Spoiler button icon. (looks like a red stop sign with a white horizontal line running through the middle)

Your highlighted text should now be behind a Spoiler button, go ahead and submit reply as per normal.

Thank you!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast