This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: sad disappointment

Default Re: sad disappointment

I hated the second episode, but I liked the third. There were a lot of good character moments, especially for Big Jim, Junior, and Angie (three of the characters who were the most poorly-served by the first couple of episodes).

If the show can continue to get incrementally better in the coming weeks, it may yet end up being a great series. Fingers crossed!

Have to agree,this show is terrible.Watched for 4 hours now and to say it's boring is an understatement.Oh well, like Stephen say's,the book is on your shelf and yes there it is along with 30 others.Been rereading Salems Lot and I think I'll stick with it,somehow I've just lost my taste for UTD for now.

I liked the fourth episode, personally. But I see why the show is turning a lot of fans of the book off.

AMEN!

Why have it open up with Barbie committing a murder? (of Julia's non-existent husband as she divorced). Don't know WHAT this brings to the story. And Linda and Rusty on opposite sides of the DOME? Come ON! And their 2 children now 1 child of the 'token' same-sex couple/ COME ON?? And Junior keeps his girlfriend(s) in a bomb shelter? And 'Chef' is some slick, clean-looking radio DJ instead of the strungout meth-head? (skewered that part of the storyline too). Not MINOR changes, complete switcheraroo changes. No improvement either to the plotline!
    Last edited by Dana Jean; July 16th, 2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added spoilers

When you say "token," what do you mean, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by librarian 90 View Post
    sorry, but I just (re-listened) to Under the Dome on my audiobook and finished about an hour before the start of this TV series with high hopes - I cannot understand why such an outstanding tale was allowed to be so extremely butchered - I found nearly nothing similar to this fine tale - it is like an entirely different story using some of the same names. I understand allowances need to be made for screen adaptations, be they large or small, but this is ridiculous - so far this show bears no resemblance to this masterwork what so ever. Come on, Steve-o - you surely don't need the money from this that badly. How can you so dishonor your wonderfully developed characters???
    I completely agree with you! I'm sorry but I can't accept these changes. And the fact that they say they did to appeal even those who read the book with a new story make me only more astonished!
    I think SK should respect more his readers. The book is wonderful and I think most of the readers wanted to see an accurate transposition. Maybe some little changes...but not so big! We loved some characters...and now we see they are totally different. I can't describe what I disliked....nothing goes well!
    I'm really sorry. I was waiting this series but after first episodes I'm sure I'll not see no other.
    SK disapproved Kubrick's The Shining.....and now he made the same thing....but with "lightly" different results!!!!!!!

I've really enjoyed the last 3 episodes and I'm liking where the storyline is headed so far. True, it isn't following the story in the book. I like that I don't know what is going to happen next and can speculate on the possibilities.

I've only just seen the first episode (UK) and I was already aware that Mr King had given his consent to change the story, but I was hugely disappointed. The whole thing felt incredibly rushed. We had no time to get to know the characters as they were BEFORE the dome appeared so have little or no empathy with them. For me that is key to the book. In fact, that's key to the enjoyment of most of Mr King's books. His character development and ability to make us feel connected to the characters is a huge part of his success. When the dome appeared in the series I felt nothing of what the people of Chester's Mill should be feeling because I haven't got to know them. None of them.

My wife hasn't read the book and was left feeling disinterested in the whole thing. She was intrigued by the dome, but she had nothing to base the characters' reactions on.

Apart from that I'm afraid I can't understand why any film adaptation has to deviate so far from a hugely successful book. Surely it makes sense to stick fairly rigidly to the original story to satisfy fans of the book? Anyone who hasn't read the book won't know the difference anyway, but if they enjoy the series they will know that they will probably enjoy reading the book.

I loved reading The Stand when it first came out and I enjoyed reading it again in the unabridged edition. The mini-series was superb and pretty much followed the book. Why should UTD be any different? While I enjoyed Kubrick's version of The Shining, I still felt disappointed with it compared to the book. For me it completely lacked the level of horror in the novel. I remember an interview with Kubrick where he stated that for him the real horror was the breakdown of the marriage!!?? Sorry, Stanley, I think you missed the point. Steven King's remake for television was actually much closer to the book and more enjoyable for it, although the horror still had to be tamed down due to the medium he'd chosen.

I truly think Hollywood should stop messing around with successful products. If you can't make a successful and great novel work on screen don't do it. Go write your own story, but don't piggy-back your ideas on a successful story just to make yours work or seem better.

You are cheating your fans, Mr King. We're fans for a reason and that reason is the tremendous quality of your writing and story telling. We shouldn't be fobbed off with someone else's story masquerading as yours.

Been watching regularly, but find I'm losing interest.
    Who is this woman, and why does she show up so long after the Dome?
    Not sure I really care.

Quote Originally Posted by nebogatoff View Post
    Been watching regularly, but find I'm losing interest.
    Who is this woman, and why does she show up so long after the Dome?
    Not sure I really care.

I'm guessing she's whoever Barbie was talking to on the phone in the beginning of the first episode. That's just a guess.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast