This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Message from Steve about changes in UTD

Default Re: Message from Steve about changes in UTD

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Andrist View Post
    I have to disagree, and since the TV show is being watched by more than Stephen King and the producers of the show, it would behoove them to think about their "audience."

You also have to think about why one would make a tv show or movie out of a novel. Is it because no one can write anything original or is it because the novel was popular and people would like to see it come to life? It's the latter. So when that doesn't happen, it's jarring.

It's kind of like when the Fugees did a remake of Roberta Flack's "Killing me Softly." Roberta's version of that song is iconic and definitive. The Fugees version was interesting, but most people, at least of my generation did not want to hear it...I changed the station every time it would come on.

It's also like remakes of movies. The original "Amityville Horror" was great, the remake not so much. If we go by Stephen King's theory, the original is still there to watch. But that doesn't change the awful experience when watching the remake, and it doesn't change our experience when we're watching "Under the Dome" and something is glaringly different than what our fondness for the book remembers.

Lots of "artistic" people in Hollywood feel the need to change things just for the sake of changing them; they want to put their mark on it. In my mind, that's very selfish. While I'm all for being artistic, the artist has to remember their audience.
    I think that Eric makes some good points here. After all (forgive me if this point has already been made, as I haven't read through the entire thread), King himself did not like Kubrick's version of The Shining, correct? Yet it was all of his characters; one could say it was simply a different version, but still a very good version of his story.

Of course, if fans are "miffed" (this seems to be the popular term), they can certainly change the channel. But they can certainly express their disappointment as well--isn't part of the purpose of this forum to share opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by btobey View Post
    I think that Eric makes some good points here. After all (forgive me if this point has already been made, as I haven't read through the entire thread), King himself did not like Kubrick's version of The Shining, correct? Yet it was all of his characters; one could say it was simply a different version, but still a very good version of his story.

Of course, if fans are "miffed" (this seems to be the popular term), they can certainly change the channel. But they can certainly express their disappointment as well--isn't part of the purpose of this forum to share opinions?

It is.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    I liked the third episode. I've still got some issues with certain things, but on the whole I thought it was a much stronger episode than the first two.
    I agree that the third episode was better. I'm watching with my husband--who didn't read the book--and he was going to give up on the series if this episode wasn't good, but now I think he's ready to hang in there, at least for a bit longer.

I'm enjoying it, yet I also feel like it's dragging. It's been awhile since I read the book--and I don't mean to sound morbid--but shouldn't more people be dead by now? IIRC, NO ONE died in Episode 3. To be honest, Under the Dome actually was NOT one of my favorite King novels (in addition to really not liking the ending, I found several typos/factual errors in the book which kind of turned me off), but one of the things that I did like about it is how society went haywire so quickly. That doesn't seem to be happening in the mini-series: here we are three episodes in, and life is seems too normal for too many people.

Also, where are all the children? We have the teenagers, but I guess the character with the young baby (I don't recall her name) didn't make it from the book...wouldn't there be other kids around, too? Another thing I liked about the book is how the weaker ones in society were the first to go.

After the first episode I was ready to give up. After reading Mr. Kings comments I decided I would think about what he said before watching episode 2. I finally decided to watch episode 2 the day episode 3 aired. I believe episode 2 brought it closer to the book and it made me want more. Episode 3 I think went farther away from the book but I really liked it. I think and hope what they are doing is sort of like what was mentioned in 11/22/63 about the past wanting to corrected the changes made. I don't think they will ever figure out what causes the dome, but I believe while it might take a little longer everyone will eventually die if there character did in the book. I think Junior is insane but

why didn't he kill Julia when he had the opportunity? I think Annie dyeing is only a matter of time. I love the changes with the Reverend. I think they gave him some of Phil Bushy's problems and did anyone else notice the baseball on the desk just before he set the house on fire.

You make an excellent point. Watching UTD makes me want to finish reading the book all the more.

Okay, okay! But I don't understand why they want to mess with the story, when it's written by the greatest storyteller in the world! Disappointed!

Which is exactly why people 'laughed' inappropriately at the theater during 'The Shining,' you got suckered by Hollywood into thinking they knew better..... you didn't have to let them do the same to the DOME. Barely recognizable. Reading it again will only turn my stomach for the disappointment the TV series turned out to be...... don't what kind of a martian mind meld they did on you.....

gotta echo the cover song idea here - there are so many great ones out there that reinterpret the original and bring it to a new & interesting place. Killing Me Softly is a great example, I'd also add RATM's rendition of Maggie's Farm, Phish's Boogie On Reggae Woman &/or Highway to Hell, Aerosmith's Come Together, John Mellancamp's Wild Nights, etc. etc. etc. Guess I should also mention how much I enjoyed the disturbing ending to the Mist movie, along with Haven & Kingdom Hospital on TV. If I like a show/song/movie/book, I may not like it's twinner. But I'm intrigued by it & respect its existence.

Sorry, I don't buy it at all. It took me the pilot episode to decide not to watch the rest of the series. It's hard to appreciate the book when you have to constantly compare the TV show and screenplay to the book for un-warrented changes. Just seeing the commercial trailers each week for the upcoming episode tells you that its all about viewers being "hooked" into watching the series and ultimately the commercials during the break. The latest commercial I saw was thousands of butterflies perched on the outside of the dome, all flying away. Come on people get it already, we know there's a dome. Please Stephen, even though Ron Howard is a respected director with many fine movies, don't approve the making of the Gunslinger series if the project moves forward. I can honestly say I will never ever watch a Stephen King story brought to TV or the big screen. They messed up the Shining, The Tommyknockers, Bag of Bones....and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by alesisqs61 View Post
    Just seeing the commercial trailers each week for the upcoming episode tells you that its all about viewers being "hooked" into watching the series and ultimately the commercials during the break.
    Somebody has finally cracked the code of how and why television exists! Well done!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast