This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King's books -- plot versus character

Default Re: King's books -- plot versus character

Character driven for me. The plot just falls into place when you are involved with the characters.

Mr. King draws his characters so perfectly and most of them are a great pleasure to meet but he writes of the world they live in too; and how they live in it is the plot. So, for me it is both.

Great thread. I'd say both for me, but leaning a wee bit more toward character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
    Though I could be mistaken, I think I remember reading once upon a time an article in which SK said that plot was the most important thing. And while I do enjoy a good, original plot/story, I've always preferred a more character driven type of story. To my way of thinking you can have a weak or less than original plot but populate it with great, well written characters and still have an excellent story. But you can take the most original plot in the world but have weak, poorly written characters and everything else will fall flat. Of course if you have great characters and a great plot that works out really well too.
    This is just how I feel also.

John

I'll take character-driven any day.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ....OR..eo...

Ha! Just kidding around about the wording, a little. I talk like that all the time. So, all in fun.

Okay, blatant hijack here.

This reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. When I was a little girl, when Dorothy is in the witches's castle and the three dudes and the dog go to save her and they are watching from the rocks? The witch army is marching and chanting and I always thought they were saying,

"Or -eeee-o, yooooo ho.
    Or-eeee-o, yooooo ho."

This just reminded me of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ....OR..eo...

"You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

They go together. If the plot is weak, developed characters are wasted. If there is a good/original plot, but no relatable characters, it's not gonna fly either.

Take Tommyknockers. I loved Gard and Bobbi, but the plot was weak, so I didn't fully like the book in the end.

I think King plots in a way that he doesn't force the characters into doing things only because it suits where he wants the story to go - he lets them flow naturally. But he still plots - every book has a main plot you can usually summarize in a couple of lines.

Actually, doesn't plot come OUT of the characters too? If Annie wasn't so obsessive about his books, she would simply have nursed Paul and let him go. If Carrie's mother wasn't so into religion, she wouldn't have contributed to pushing her daughter over the edge.

King covers this in On Writing. In most cases he starts with a character in a given situation, and then he writes to find out what happens. He mentions a couple of exceptions, but in most cases he doesn't have book plotted out before the actual writing begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    Okay, blatant hijack here.

This reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. When I was a little girl, when Dorothy is in the witches's castle and the three dudes and the dog go to save her and they are watching from the rocks? The witch army is marching and chanting and I always thought they were saying,

"Or -eeee-o, yooooo ho.
    Or-eeee-o, yooooo ho."

This just reminded me of that.
    ...if there really was ANY need for confirmation of my idiocy...I still wander around from time to time humming that...then I melt into a can of Maxwell House coffee...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast