Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Small error, large character mistake, and funny movie adaptation reference. - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small error, large character mistake, and funny movie adaptation reference.

Default Re: Small error, large character mistake, and funny movie adaptation reference.

I was born in 1972, but my favorite movies are from the '30s and '40s, some of my favorite music from that era, and I love old time radio, still play records too... I believe each era has a beautiful artform that should be maintained, progress doesn't always mean better... sometimes it's just unhealthy to the environment and ourselves... I love history, time travel, romantic/nostalgia, so I get it.

Default Re: Small error, large character mistake, and funny movie adaptation reference.

...yes, you do...

Quote Originally Posted by GenXAccord View Post
    I'll just include all three of these in one to save time and thread room.
    The first is a small error near the end of the book. The second to last chapter titled "Final Notes." 6th paragraph..."She might not want to have anything to do with me. We're no longer going to be thirty-five and twenty-eight; this time I'd be forty-two or -three." The problem here is his age. If he was 35 at the beginning of the story, and I believe he tells Al Templeton he is, and Al's fake past drivers license for him lists him as born in '23 so in '58 he'd be 35. He didn't meet Sadie until the summer of '61, a little over 2 and a half years after he'd been in the past. He was around 37 or 38 then when he met her. And he knows he'd be 42 or 43 if he went back again, so saying that "We're no longer going to be thirty-five" is a bit off the mark. I know, it's minor, but the minor stuff sometimes sticks out.

Something much larger and more obvious glares out at me like a red stoplight on a pitch black country road. The way Mr. King wrote certain aspects of George Amberson/Jake Epping. I think Mr. King wrote George/Jake way to "close to the vest" as they say. If George/Jake is 35 in 2011, he was born in 1976. I was born in '72 and what I'm about to mention sticks out as the aforementioned red light. George/Jake must have some very, very nostalgic taste in both dancing and music because he knows dances that very few people do or learn anymore, and his musical tastes and knowledge are what my parents and grandparents probably listened too. I had to look up, on Youtube no less, to see what the "Lindy Hop" was and what it looked like, as well as Glenn Miller's "In The Mood." I realized I've heard "In the Mood" before, probably when I was little and watching the "Lawrence Welk Show" at my grandmother's house. But I've never seen the Lindy Hop.(Han Solo and Princess Leia didn't do it in '77, 80 or '83. And my momma didn't dance and my daddy didn't rock and roll.) Someone born in '76 has a better chance of knowing how to break dance to Sir Mix-A-Lot or Line Dance to Alan Jackson then knowing how to Lindy Hop. I know that there are some groups around, of younger people, who still keep those old swing dances alive, but not many and the odds are not in favor of it with George/Jake unless it's really a major thing on the East Coast and I don't know it because I'm from the Midwest. Next in mind is his musical taste/knowledge. He absentmindedly sings the lyrics to a Rolling Stones song from the 70's while he is shopping with Sadie? Really? The Stones? As a man who "came of age" in the 80's and 90's and is from 2011 he's more likely to flub and sing lyrics from Motley Crue, Pearl Jam or even Nickelback. If he's into country, I image him singing the lyrics to Big and Rich's "Save a horse, ride a cowboy."(That one would send Sadie off her rocker.) For the story's sake he may have been born in '76, but George/Jake has an awful lot of '60's and '70's in him. Like someone born in, say, 1947.

Lastly is something I don't think anyone else may have caught. Sadie's ex husband John Clayton. His disguise, the one with overalls and nearly orange hair? Has anyone else seen the film adaptation to King's "The Lawnmower Man?" (They messed the story up so badly that King sued to have his name removed from it.) Google a picture of Jeff Fahey as Jobe Smith and you will see what I mean. Overalls and orange hair indeed. That was funny.
    As for the first point, it's not a big deal. If someone did go to the past and document everything that happened the way Jake did, they would probably get things wrong from time to time. It would be more interesting if authors intentionally made errors like that in order to make it feel "authentic". If someone kept a journal like that, they probably wouldn't hire an editor.

I am 31, and I have heard of Lindy Hop. I took salsa classes and it came up often and many people would take Lindy Hop classes. It's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

A 37 year old singing Rolling Stones is perfectly okay. I've done it myself. They are an iconic band and their music gets played a lot in movies, tv and classic rock stations. I have a lot of their sounds on my playlist.

Born in 1971, and I just love Big Band, Ragtime and Swing music from the 1930s. Real craftsmanship displayed in that era.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123