Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Hate to Say I Told you So... - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hate to Say I Told you So...

Default Re: Hate to Say I Told you So...

Strawberries is what beat me
    I was assured cherry sorting was just on the horizon and that's where the big money was. What? 5 dollars for half a day's work? wooo hooo. high on the hog.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Strawberries beat me too, Patrick. The asparagus was fine, I loved the hothouse tomatoes, apple picking n pruning was... meh, but the frigging strawberry care gave me a case of sunstroke that put me into the hospital and then had me hobbling on crutches for a couple of weeks.
    Burn baby, burn.
    That early summer sun can be so tricksy... you're really just not quite prepared for it at 17 (and stupid).
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    It ain't easy being a child of the corn.

Another story:

My husband, in high school (so not that long ago), worked on a full-out cattle ranch. Branding, castrating, birthing, doctoring, mowing hay, getting silage in etc..etc... Again, hard work. But this ranch also had illegal aliens. They were set-up in a bunkhouse type situation (which they had to pay to live in.) They weren't allowed to go to town because INS was a much bigger presence in the area back in the day. So, that means, they also had to rely on someone to do their shopping for them and anything else they might want from town.

These guys did not speak English. Their "boss" was a legal Mexican man who spoke both English and spanish so he was in charge of the illegals. This guy would charge them to get their stuff for them. If they wanted women, he would get them, but he would charge for his services as well as the girls. By the time this guy was done with them, they barely made anything if anything at all. Now, I may word this badly, and I apologize in advance if I do because I do NOT mean anything hateful about this, but this Mexican boss was one of their own. He was them, and yet he exploited his own people. (Which all great dictators do well.) Not that it's good for any race to exploit any other race--but you would have thought this guy would have been busting his ass to take care of these workers.

It was the company store. And these men were trapped in their own Grapes of Wrath. It was disgraceful and I was sickened when my boyfriend (now husband) told me this was happening -- in my neighborhood in my lifetime!

People are not chattel! Pay them a fair wage for a fair day's work. Take care of them. Give them benefits. They are making you rich, boss man. And they are human beings that deserve respect and dignity. When you treat people ugly and lower than an animal, they might just live up to your expectations.
    Hi, Ms. Dana Jean.

Why did that Mexican man exploit his own people? Because he was an evil man. A greedy, evil man.

The love of money...

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

There is a higher power and he will pay for what he did tenfold. He will be held accountable.

Peace.

My concern over the entire situation is that I'd rather not see laws passed to create a defacto migrant slave class bypassing the same human rights protections we complain about in other countries. I'm all for wide open immigration, and having people come join our country. I'm not a fan of just creating a tunnel to temporarily exploit foreign workers.

Let's get some new citizens, sure, that are willing to do those jobs, but make sure they get minimum wage and standard protections. Will the prices of some things go up? Probably. At the same time it puts more money in the local economy and drives our GNP. Henry Ford used to pay his people very well because he firmly believed (and was shown to be right at the time) that if he paid his people enough they would buy Fords themselves.

I'm not a Polyanna about the world, nor am I afraid of immigrants stealing American jobs. The United States has always been made stronger by broad, fast-tracked immigration. I'm all for that, along with making sure that the minimum wage and protections are applied.

The sense of entitlement with the youth today is awful. Most of us on here worked very hard for very little at some point in our lives. That hard work builds character. There is no reason young people can't be working in the fields and getting and education in work ethic and humility. I worry about the youth of today not having an appreciation for hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    The sense of entitlement with the youth today is awful. Most of us on here worked very hard for very little at some point in our lives. That hard work builds character. There is no reason young people can't be working in the fields and getting and education in work ethic and humility. I worry about the youth of today not having an appreciation for hard work.
    Totally agree, Cowboy. I watch the teens in my area. They complain of not having spending money-- beyond what it "given" to them in the name of allowances. Yet, any degree on manual labor is out. Many communities around here are retired people. Several can not mow their lawns, or weed a simple garden. There is work available, yet when asked- most teens will simply step back and say nope- it would mean dirty hands and sweating.
    Most in my generation worked to save for that first car-- it wasn't an "expected" graduation gift. We worked to save for college. And worked while attending.

When our house was built, three years ago, the sheetrock guys were Mexican. I have no idea if they were legal or illegalómy guess is legal, based on what I know of the builderóbut I do not think they spoke English (the trim guy was bilingual and would always speak to them in Spanish). They worked their butts off, and what's more, they did a good job (even on the double height wall in the great room, which I know was hard). Heck, when we finish our basement, we plan to do a lot of the work ourselves, but not the sheetrock (my husband has drawn the line; he says he's had enough of helping his dad sheetrock to last him a lifetime) ... I'd hire them to do the basement if I could. There is something to be said for people who give it their all like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Totally agree, Cowboy. I watch the teens in my area. They complain of not having spending money-- beyond what it "given" to them in the name of allowances. Yet, any degree on manual labor is out. Many communities around here are retired people. Several can not mow their lawns, or weed a simple garden. There is work available, yet when asked- most teens will simply step back and say nope- it would mean dirty hands and sweating.
    Most in my generation worked to save for that first car-- it wasn't an "expected" graduation gift. We worked to save for college. And worked while attending.
    Agreed, and it has become a negative impact on society in multiple ways (idle hands...). When we were young, the culture had a sense of pride of earning, and not being given, which does not exist much today.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    minimum wage and protections are applied
    Strong protections on conditions and against abuses, oh most definitely yeah, but I'm thinkin' the wage issue gets sticky.
    See I don't know of but a few harvesting jobs where you get paid by the hour, it's basically mostly all 'piece work', by the bushel, sack, basket, whatever, kinda thing, faster you are the more you make.
    Migrants come in and it's like locusts hit the fields, they don't waste no time, 'cause time is money and they gotta git on down the road, but they can make some real bread (on average more than I ever could doin' piece work, and I did okay), but often it's the keepin of said bread, that's more the problem.
    Some outfits "ding" the hell out of you, maybe charge you five dollars for you maybe accidentally bustin' a three dollar basket, kinda thing, all kinds of things,
    Well there's that, and sometime it's actually gettin' paid all what your owed before you might even get dinged, and that's just not done to them, but yeah it certainly happens to them more often, so sorry for bustin' any bubbles folks, but farmers, the very salts of the Earth, there's more than enough of 'em that will screw ya outta well earned dough, if they can get away with it...oh hey, not enough I don't looooves me some farmers, I lawd yes I most certainly does, but enough I'll keeps me beady little eyes on 'em until maybe I see they're fair & square cool & groovy...and there's a salient point, I mean since I live here, I can have that luxury.

Was times, is times, a long time ago, not that long ago, around this tri-state's farming community's areas anyway, lotta folks looked forward to the actually relative few migrant crews that would blow through these parts, and then they didn't, and then they did, and then they didn't.......
    Eh, guess lotta folks just don't know what they want til they're told, so let me tells ya, you want the migrant worker, and you should want them treated well...well hell yeah and guys like me too, but then me over for a single ducat and I'll boost your favorite tractor...and then juuuust maybe, I'll ask your daughter(s) out.

I think most Americans have no idea where the produce comes from when they just waltz in to the local supermarket and find it on the shelves. I see a big parallel between this and the coal mining industry with respect to the "company store" and miners paid in script that could only be redeemed at the company store. All my uncles were miners and the mines eventually got to them in their older years with silicosis. I did have one uncle who made it to the eighties. I remember when I was a little sprite and we would visit my family in WVA, going to the company store with my cousin to buy chewing gum.
    Thanks Siggie and PITH and DJ for a most awakening post. I opine this is a subject that most Americans like to go ostrich over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12