This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Anyone watching the new tv series, The Bridge ?

Default Anyone watching the new tv series, The Bridge ?

Perhaps it is having spent 4 years in Mexico, or perhaps it is enjoying a book with twist, turns, and monsters (the ones that walk among us or the fanciful); but The Bridge seems like an interesting series to me. There is nothing supernatural about it, just the realization that 2 cities (Ciudad Juarez and El Paso) set apart by a border have a starkly different outlook. When I went for spanish training before moving to Mexico, I also learned about the culture, which included information in the reality of the drug cartels in Mexico. One thing I had never considered before, is how my spanish teacher described life in a small Mexican village growing drugs for export to the U.S.. The drug lord provides for the village, giving them donations for schools, churches, weddings, etc. etc., caring for them. Much like a scene from The Godfather, or reading about Big Jim Renie in Under The Doom, those folks have dual sides to their personalities. As described by the Mexicans, Cuidad Juarez is a dangerous city, where honking your horn at someone in anger, may result in shots fired at your car. Multiple murders every week, every night are normal. The news portrays some of the deaths due to the drug trades, drug cartels, and the FBI; with the poor residents trying to earn a living are caught in the middle. I had to be in El Paso for business about 5 years ago, while listening to the news in my hotel room that night, El Paso was quiet, but the reporters had a new 15 murders to report about in Juarez.

The Bridge touches on these subjects and illegal immigartion, and the disparity in news coverage for so many murders. Think about some of the more famous ones where discussing 1 murder makes all the news, even our message board; where in Juarez murders are ongoing. A character from the series echoed what I heard the problem was; when pushed, the line becomes "plata o plomo"; take my silver or I'll give you my lead.
    Last edited by tenngolfer; August 3rd, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Default Re: Anyone watching the new tv series, The Bridge ?

...thanks Dave, where can you find it on the idiot box?....

FX. I actually missed the first 3 episodes, but caught them with the cable "on demand" service that is popular with Comcast and Charter (sister companies as I understand it).

Here are some links:

http://www.yidio.com/show/the-bridge...FSdo7AodQkMAig

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/thebridge

I should have mentioned the opening story is about finding a serial killer. Which is interesting, when you think about it, how hard would it be to solve missing person cases or murders in a city with so many ? It reminds me of a couple of vampire stories where vampires prey on the soldiers of war, after all, the numbers they take would be so small compared to the number lost in war.

We were hooked from the first episode. The main characters are very complex, the female detective who is the US faction has Asbergers. The Mexican detective is very laid back.

As the first body found was on the border in the middle of the bridge with the upper torso in Mexico and the lower in the US and the body parts were US and Mexican thus the involvement of both detectives.
    Lots of elements to explore here, drug and human trafficing, different police techniques, different personalities.

Me and the boys have been catching it. It is a pretty good show and my boys are all trying to learn Spanish, so they enjoy that part of it.