Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Child's name Messiah....... - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Child's name Messiah.......

Default Re: Child's name Messiah.......

Pat

I'll second that NN!

When I read that story yesterday all I could think was "That's not going to go over well."

While I personally agree with her reasons, I don't think the judge should have any say in the matter. If the parents want to name their son that then they can.

Just call him Mess for short.........

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...to me, it's the same as taking the Lord's name in vain...I agree with the judge saying that only one person has "earned" that nom de plume, but to bring the gavel down on it-I can't agree...
    I feel exactly the same way. Kind of yeah but no. Why do people do things like that and why does a judge feel he/she has the right to change it?

I just heard about this today, and my first thought was that hispanic people name their boys Jesus all the ime. (Pronounced "Hey Soos") I don't think this is any different. The name "Joshua" comes directly from Jesus' Hebrew name "Yeshua." Etc, etc, etc. "Messiah" (In my opinion) is less offensive than these other names because it's a title and not a name.

I disgree with this name on a personal level for a couple of reasons. I'm a Christian and I *do* think it's disrespectful to my REAL Mashiach. (I think that about Jesus and Yeshua, too) Also, it's gonna be hard on the kid. And yeah .... why *can't* people just name their kids something that won't get them unwanted/negative attention? I get that the parents might not be Christians, but they live in a predominantly Christian area and, out of love for their child, you'd think that they wouldn't want to provoke negativity for their child.

However, it's NOT "illegal." To my knowledge, it's illegal to name a child a word considered to be "profanity" but, other than that, it's fair game. (On a side note, it's illegal to name a child "Hitler" in Germany)

I think the parents will win their appeal.

i'm bettin' this judge ain't quite all that fond of that ol' separation of church and state thingee tommy jefferson championed all those years ago...
    Last edited by guido tkp; August 13th, 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: jus now lernin too spel

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    i'm bettin' this judge ain't quite all that fond of that ol' separation of church and state thingee tommy jefferson championed all those years ago...

Last edited by guido tkp; 1 Hour Ago at 09:08 PM. Reason: jus now lernin too spel
    Hookt on fonix werked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    Almost makes me want to sire progeny in Tennessee, them holy rollin' bible thumpin' American Taliban sumbitchs would end throwin' me in the pokey for hereticin', or burn 'me at the stake.
    'Lu Ann Ball-U', yeah how ya like those little green apples, I can give ya name game problems at the drop of my hat, grow a mass of grey matter already, would ya, Jackassette.
    Remember this, that there part of the world, it's got a whole lot of 'the old time religion', makes Monkey Trial Tennessee seem almost fallen Catholic...yeah yeah so that might be stretchin' it, maybe more like plain ol' vanilla Southern Baptists.
    Lotta serpent appreciation goin' on in & around that zip code is what I'm sayin', but rest easy, they can 'handle' it, fundamentally one might say...uh-huh you got it, it's a nutty fruitcakey kinda thing...eh eh, no anti-venom for you, oh no that wouldn't do, nah we gotta make sure that ol' timey lord & savior invisible guy, and his zombie kiddo o' course, believes in ya all righteous like.
    Yeah tell me what I can and cannot name a child of mine what sprung from MY loins, and maybe especially in the honor of Your freakin' religion, and by god then name it for me...oh my brother & sisters, we'd have a holy war, I would go absolutely berserk.
    I'm deathly serious, I'm shaking right now I'm so pissed off, and it ain't even my brat...now I ever find myself with a Pat bastid in the oven down that way, I'ma name it, 'Omnipotent Master Of The Entire ing Universe' 'So Shove It' 'In The Hat' jr.

Holy stroked, I think our personalized family Christmas cards just got a tad more expensive, perhaps I should consider somethin' a bit more acronymy.
    I'm so tired of this holier than thou, you best be lovin' our deity, waayyyy un American, unconscionably stupid, and not just a little dangerous, let's go with crap, I say 'em!
    You said it, Hat Trick Man. I'm embarrassed to be a Tennessean at the moment.
    Having grown up surrounded by Tennessee religious fundamentalists, I can say with 100% conviction that this ruling by this Tennessee judge is founded upon religious beliefs. And it's - hey, you knew it was coming - fundamentally stupid AND unfair.
    I'm all for naming a child something that won't get the sh*t kicked out of it in school, but at the same time, hey, it's *your* kid - name it whatever you want to. That's your right as a parent. (Just don't go blaming the other kids for picking on your child because her name is Chiquita Banana or his name is Trojan Ajax.)

It's *not* a judge's right, or anyone's right, to determine that your name choice is somehow wrong, unless it's profanity and thus illegal. I hope the parents in question name their next baby Mohammed, just to drive home their civil rights.

..course...just a wee bit ago...they had that story about the guy who wanted to name his kid adolph hitler or sumpin'...

i'm thinkin', Out of Order, that Messi would be better..then, if his middle name happened to be Marvin...he could have a good shot at some commercials

i'm sure, to answer everyones earlier worries..the Tennessee 'leadership' will soon (retroactively) ban all uses of the name Jesus (hey, suess !)...it'd be one way to get rid of a portion of their unwanted (y'know..the 'types' who might vote 'D') populations, right ?

poor Lil'... the only consolation for the young lass is my legislature is just as dumb...and just as bassakwerds...and we get tornados, too !

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    ..course...just a wee bit ago...they had that story about the guy who wanted to name his kid adolph hitler or sumpin'...

i'm thinkin', Out of Order, that Messi would be better..then, if his middle name happened to be Marvin...he could have a good shot at some commercials

i'm sure, to answer everyones earlier worries..the Tennessee 'leadership' will soon (retroactively) ban all uses of the name Jesus (hey, suess !)...it'd be one way to get rid of a portion of their unwanted (y'know..the 'types' who might vote 'D') populations, right ?

poor Lil'... the only consolation for the young lass is my legislature is just as dumb...and just as bassakwerds...and we get tornados, too !
    Oh, we get tornadoes.....an F5 blew through downtown Nashville in 1998.

And you know what? Banning the name "Jesus" here won't go over well with the Spanish-speaking part of the Tennessee population. That would guarantee a Latino and Hispanic vote for the other side, whatever party affiliation they may have. (Yes, there's a sizeable Latino portion of the population here. It's still small compared to the U.S. average, but it's present and very active within Tennessee communities.)

Why is it that Eisenhower, a well-respected conservative Republican, understood the meaning of "separation of church and state"? Why can't 2013 Republicans and conservative judges grasp that concept??

(Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I feel terrible for that poor set of parents. They just wanted to name their kid - a cute baby, BTW - something that is different, lyrical, and something that means a great deal to them. They're no more disrespecting Christianity by naming their child Messiah than Muslim parents are by naming their child Mohammed.)
    Last edited by Lily Sawyer; August 14th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast