Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Child's name Messiah....... - Page 7

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Child's name Messiah.......

Default Re: Child's name Messiah.......

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Bottigliero View Post
    Ok. So, you're saying, if your parents had chosen to call you 'Ugly unwanted b*tch', they would have had the right to do so? Because really, think about it: You can't allow one freaky name, but outlaw another: Once you take the path of allowing all kinds of weird names, here is what is going to happen: In 20 years, some idiot is going to call his child 'Darkspawn Jellybean Computer Wheelchair Jones' and then what? You've allowed every other weird name, so why not that one? Why disciminate this parent while other can name their kids what they want?

Or, to make it a little more realistic: You've allowed Messiah. The next couple will go with God. And then nother couple will come up with God is dead. Now you have a kid named 'God is dead'.

Seriously, you can't just allow every single name.
    Thanks for the schooling... i guess i was wrong about that whole Freedom of Speech thing.

but here's the good news.... i've just decided to no longer have an opinion on these boards... it's proven to be rather caustic.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Now you have a kid named 'God is dead'.
    Been done, catch up.
    The world oddly did not end, mustard.
    Ya know I'm thinkin' the liberal application of condoments could settle the whole argument...oh no no, no bother at all, I can see myself out
    Last edited by PatInTheHat; September 24th, 2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Overcast, almost forgot me rubbers

Kinda related and on a lighter note.........

Dweezil Zappa may have one of the original crazy celebrity baby names, but when he was born in 1969, the hospital refused to issue a birth certificate in that name. Rather than fight bureaucracy, his parents – rocker Frank Zappa and wife Gail — named him Ian Donald Calvin Euclid and nicknamed him Dweezil. When little Dweezil was five, he learned the history of his highly unusual name and later insisted on changing it legally.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireLily View Post
    Thanks for the schooling... i guess i was wrong about that whole Freedom of Speech thing.

but here's the good news.... i've just decided to no longer have an opinion on these boards... it's proven to be rather caustic.

What schooling? I'm not saying you can't say whatever you wish? But freedom of speech is not exactly the same as the freedom to do whatever you want, is it? Sure, you can say 'I'd like to name my child Sodom Gomorra Jones'; Just don't really actually DO it.

You could just respond to my post, which essentially merely is 'Do you really believe parents have a right to choose ANY name, however crazy it is?' It wasn't meant to tell you you can't think or say whatever you like. I'm sorry if it came across like that. It's already hard to pick up a tone on the internet, let alone when the person sending it has a different native language.

I think of Messiah as a title or descriptive term rather than a name. I've given some of my dogs names like King, Duke, Princess, Dumbbutt And these might be cute nicknames for future adults but hopefully, if I actually try to name a kid Emperor or Savior, someone will stop me.

You could just respond to my post, which essentially merely is 'Do you really believe parents have a right to choose ANY name, however crazy it is?' It wasn't meant to tell you you can't think or say whatever you like. I'm sorry if it came across like that. It's already hard to pick up a tone on the internet, let alone when the person sending it has a different native language.
    Thanks, Angelo! I appreciate the comment back...

I think that a parent should be able to name their child whatever they like as long as it's not vulgar or offensive when it comes to language & context. I think it was sweet and an honor to her spirituality that she named her child Messiah.... however, if she had tried to name him Sh**head or Dou**bag then YES.... that's a fair place to draw the line. But let's face it, any parent who wants to name their kids a vulgar curse word shouldn't be parents to begin with. Unfortunately, there's no law against having kids... even if the person donating the sperm or carrying the baby around for 9 months is a complete a**hole.

when it comes to freedom of speech in the United States, it's sort of an 'all in' or 'all out' situation. If some whack-job wants to name their kid Satan or His All Holy Darkness for instance, and the courts told him no then he'd lawyer-up and state his case as, "Well, some person named their kid Messiah... and Madonna... and Jesus Christ but i can't name my kid after the deity that i worship?" Here in New Jersey, we had some idiots name their kids Hitler and Eva Braun. Seriously???!

Quote Originally Posted by VampireLily View Post

Don't you dare!! I look forward to hearing from the red-headed vampire crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    Don't you dare!! I look forward to hearing from the red-headed vampire crowd!
    (hugs)

Quote Originally Posted by no bounce no play View Post
    I think of Messiah as a title or descriptive term rather than a name. I've given some of my dogs names like King, Duke, Princess, Dumbbutt And these might be cute nicknames for future adults but hopefully, if I actually try to name a kid Emperor or Savior, someone will stop me.
    My son went to school with a kid whose legal, given name was King David. Don't know his last name.

I don't think the name made him a brat, but he was one. Acting like he was a King, and his class mates were his subjects. Is it surprising a kid named King David would act that way? Not really, because parents that would name their child that would probably raise him that way.

Little side bar.....kids got fed up with being bullied by him and eventually turned the tables....starting throwing a stick and saying "fetch King". When they all moved up to MS, he decided to drop his first name and just go by David.

I worked with a guy whose name was Blue Sky. Everyone loved his name and he was quite proud of it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast