Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Cult Film - White Lightnin'

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Cult Film - White Lightnin'

Default Cult Film - White Lightnin'

For the past few years, my friend and I have been watching a lot of films that are considered cult films or little known gems. I'm in the lucky postiton of being able to go round to his house, where he has a projector set up with a brilliant surround sound system for the complete immersive experience (Thanks Sean, you are a legend). I think seeing film on a big screen can make a huge difference to viewing pleasure, and can elevate some small films to a grander status in my estimation.

I've been choosing a few King related titles from time to time; The Dead Zone, The Mist, Christine etc.

What I'l post here on and every so often are films I would think go under the radar a bit and recommend them. again, I'll be keeping in mind this is a forum for fans of SK, so will aim for the dark side of things, although most cult films seem to fall under 'dark' if you ask me.

First up; White Lightnin'
    Directed by Dominic Murphy and with a brilliant central perfomance by Ed Hogg, this is the best film I've seen about a drug abusing, Appalachian hillbilly tapdancing psychopath I think I'll ever see. Thta description makes it sound like a daft B-movie. Believe me, this is one of the most demented films I've seen in a while. Religious themes are central to the film, turning a strange concept into a chilling, violent thriller, albeit a surreal thriller. Ed Hogg as Jesco White is mesmerising. I cannot recommend this film highly enough.

It also has Carrie Fisher in her best role since Princess Leia.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Default Re: Cult Film - White Lightnin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sir View Post

First up; White Lightnin'
    Directed by Dominic Murphy and with a brilliant central perfomance by Ed Hogg, this is the best film I've seen about a drug abusing, Appalachian hillbilly tapdancing psychopath I think I'll ever see.
    That ain't exactly right, should read more, '...Appalachian HillBilly 'piddle fartin' & tap dancin' psychopath...'. see it'sa, 'piddle fart & tap dance our way through life', kinda thang..eh, no biggie, carry on, y'all.

This thread is a good idea, Mr. Sir! I love when someone finds a diamond in the rough (and in horror, there's usually a lot of rough)! I'll check it out.

This is based on a real guy, Jesco White. There is a documentary called The Weird and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Check that out -- pretty interesting.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

I looked up some stuff about Jesco White after as it says it was based on a true story. Very loosely based is the appropriate phrase. They've basically taken his name, the fact he did mountain dancing, and constructed a demented film around it. Doesn't lessen it though for me.

The Weird and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

...sounds like it was sponsored by the local chapter of the Klan...

White Lightening! That was my handle back in my CB days....

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sir View Post
    I looked up some stuff about Jesco White after as it says it was based on a true story. Very loosely based is the appropriate phrase. They've basically taken his name, the fact he did mountain dancing, and constructed a demented film around it. Doesn't lessen it though for me.
    I'm so lookin' forward to seein' it, you've made me drool in gittybilly anticipation!...um, but you do know White was truly a far-out trip, though, right?...I mean I got generations of hill blood in me & have had plenty o' highest in quality mountain time, and I'm of the thinkin' I think, that I don't think I coulda hung out with him & his band of merry HillBillies, not for long anyway, I'd probably had to of gone on 'a run' and just never went back, it's the HillBilly way, you know, to bow out gracefully..occasionally intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
    White Lightening! That was my handle back in my CB days....
    That's my handle in the hills.