Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Rook or e-reader? - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rook or e-reader?

Default Re: Rook or e-reader?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    Oh, never, never do I donate a book written by Mr. King. Nuhunh, no way!
    Haunted:
    Of course none of the books I donated were written by Mr. King! As Balki used to say "Doan be ridicalus" kay?

I have a Kindle and enjoy using it, not only to read books but also to listen to music and surf the web. I won't give up reading traditional books until someone finds a way to impregnate a Kindle with the smell of a new hardcover book. That will be something.

Quote Originally Posted by prufrock21 View Post
    I have a Kindle and enjoy using it, not only to read books but also to listen to music and surf the web. I won't give up reading traditional books until someone finds a way to impregnate a Kindle with the smell of a new hardcover book. That will be something.

I have a Kindle icon on this new computer desktop... Should I be brave and (gulp) touch it? What will happen? Do they have free books on Kindle or will I have to just use my credit card to buy things? Like Stephen' s essay on Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    I have a Kindle icon on this new computer desktop... Should I be brave and (gulp) touch it? What will happen? Do they have free books on Kindle or will I have to just use my credit card to buy things? Like Stephen' s essay on Guns
    Click the icon. While you will probably have to pay for books you want, most of the time you can get a free sample.

I used to be dead set against e-readers. Then my g/f decided to get one. That swayed me a bit. Then she got herself a new phone and got a free Kindle Fire HD thrown in. That did it. Plenty of heft in it and I can (and have) lost much sleep to reading, watching movies and playing games on it.
    And yet...whenever I'm in town, I amble off to the bookstore, nose around, invariably come out with a volume or two. 'Cos it turns out Mr King was right: you can do (and enjoy) both.
    (That said, I've found reading from the Kindle puts me to sleep way quicker than reading from a book (bedtime reader).)

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post

There is a listing of over 100 free ebook in each category. And daily deals that are at very reasonable cost (99cents/ $1.99)
    You can also download from the Gutenberg Project
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-K...ding=UTF8&tf=1

http://www.gutenberg.org/

doowopgirl made a good point that you can download free samples onto a reader, then you aren't stuck having paid for a book that you find out you don't want to finish.

Lots of free books available too; I've discovered Zane Gray and Edna Ferber, to mention two, and several interesting books on different history subjects.

E-readers will never replace real books for me, BUT:

When I read in the bathtub, and when I go on holiday, I read on my Sony E-reader. So much easier just packing the E-reader in stead of 2 large volumes (just in case you finish one halfway and are left with nothing to read ). Plus I also have bedtime stories on it so it saves having to take those too. As for the bath: It's just so much lighter to hold up compared to an 800 pager...

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Bottigliero View Post
    E-readers will never replace real books for me, BUT:

When I read in the bathtub, and when I go on holiday, I read on my Sony E-reader. So much easier just packing the E-reader in stead of 2 large volumes (just in case you finish one halfway and are left with nothing to read ). Plus I also have bedtime stories on it so it saves having to take those too. As for the bath: It's just so much lighter to hold up compared to an 800 pager...
    Just don't drop it in the water!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast