Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Insomnia & The Dark Tower

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Insomnia & The Dark Tower

Question Insomnia & The Dark Tower

I have a couple of questions. I have been wanting to ready Insomnia for a long time. However, I've read that there are a number of Dark Tower connections in it. I have yet to read The Dark Tower series (I know, I know...it is on my reading list next) & I don't want any spoilers to ruin the Dark Tower experience for me. Would you recommend that I read the first 3 Dark Tower books before Insomnia (since that is the chronological order of publication)? Or do I read the complete Dark Tower series first? Or can I read it without having read the Dark Tower series at all? Thanks my friends!

Default Re: Insomnia & The Dark Tower

I read insomnia before any of the Dark Tower books, and it didn't ruin anything for me. It was more that, when reading the Dark Tower and when re-reading Insomnia later, I was like "hey cool, a link!"

I agree with stormshadow, I don't think you'll lose anything by reading Insomnia first. I think I would actually find it difficult to begin the Dark Tower series and then split off into something else before taking up the remaining DT books.
    For me, once I was 'in', I was completely in.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by stormshadow View Post
    I read insomnia before any of the Dark Tower books, and it didn't ruin anything for me. It was more that, when reading the Dark Tower and when re-reading Insomnia later, I was like "hey cool, a link!"
    I also read Insomnia first. Doing so had no effect at all on my experience with DT, and I don't think the reason is that I'd read Insomnia so long prior. At a certain point I did wonder about something while reading Insomnia which turns out relating to DT, though.

....Reading about old Ralph's antics won't hurt a thing...

Go for it! It's a great book and won't spoil anything.

Thanks so much, everyone! I will let you know when I read it.

Insomnia is probably my favorite book right after the DT series. It won't spoil a thing, and it's an absolutely amazing story.

I agree with everyone else - read it! Then do a reread after reading the Dark Tower story (I consider all the books to be one)...and you will be surprised and delighted at the connections!

Not only did I love the Dark Tower connections, but how about the "It" connections? It takes place in Derry and we get a chance to visit with Mike Hanlon and the old landmarks like the Barrens. It's a great story in itself and it connects to two of my favorite stories. You can't lose! I remember reading it when I was probably about 20 and the thing that struck me was that it made me really sympathize with the difficulties that elderly people face every day and made me feel like I could relate to the elderly in a big way, even at that age. That's a sign of a great writer.