This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reservations about reading misery

Default Re: Reservations about reading misery

Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    I would like to read this soon, but one of reasons I think I didn't like the shining as much as everyone else is because it was for the most part a slow story just about 3 characters. I am a bit weary that Misery is for the most part going to be a slow story about just 2 people. Generally, my favourite stories surround a good few people: IT, 11/22/63, Langoliers, The Stand, Dark Tower books etc. But with said, I really liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, which was basically just one character for the most part. Damn, choosing the next book is so hard.
    If you think The Shining is "just about 3 characters" perhaps you didn't fully grasp the story. First, Halloran is as much part of the story as Danny, Jack and Wendy are.

Second, and most important, The Overlook itself is the main character. It is as alive as any of the others; in fact, it is the protagonist in the story

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    If you think The Shining is "just about 3 characters" perhaps you didn't fully grasp the story. First, Halloran is as much part of the story as Danny, Jack and Wendy are.

Second, and most important, The Overlook itself is the main character. It is as alive as any of the others; in fact, it is the protagonist in the story
    I know, and understand that Dick had a big role, but what I meant was the actual text, capter upon chapter that is nothing but Jack, Wendy and Danny. Besides, it's not like I hated the shining, just a mid table book for me. I don't know, maybe it was just the pace of the shining that got me, I found Wastelands to be drastically slow,and didn't like that. Maybe it is not the "innies" that are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    I know, and understand that Dick had a big role, but what I meant was the actual text, capter upon chapter that is nothing but Jack, Wendy and Danny. Besides, it's not like I hated the shining, just a mid table book for me. I don't know, maybe it was just the pace of the shining that got me, I found Wastelands to be drastically slow,and didn't like that. Maybe it is not the "innies" that are the problem.
    Oh, Jesus Christ bananas. Just read the damn book already. You'll never know if you'll like it until you crack it open.

You could have had it read by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Oh, Jesus Christ bananas. Just read the damn book already. You'll never know if you'll like it until you crack it open.
    LMAO, perfect post, absolutely perfect Lily.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    You could have had it read by now.

I think, from what you have said, that possibly its not going to be one of your faves. There are sooo many others...put it on your "another day" list? I really enjoyed The Regulators and its a whole lot...busier? (maybe not quite the word I want) Try that one!

Read it you gonna love it

"Dick had a big role"

Sorry - I could not help myself!

Let us know how you like it, Waylander!

read it. it is mainly two characters, but read it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123