Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
sellout? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sellout?

Default Re: sellout?

Quote Originally Posted by santachef View Post
    why does he continue to let tv butcher great books? i'm pissed
    Go read SK's letter to Constant Reader regarding the TV interpretation of Under the Dome.
    It's not a butchering - it's what I wrote above: an interpretation of it.
    The book is still intact and is still the same story you read.
    The TV version is different, and the producers signed no agreement that they would stick to the book's storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ..."butchering" as you term it, is nothing new in media...it's been around as long as the mediums have...it doesn't detract from the brilliance of the book-and if you're that "pissed", that's why they invented a little gizmo known as an "off switch"...
    So what's the point of having a forum if posters are supposed to merely switch off the TV instead of posting honest feedback on here? A forum where only praise is desired isn't worth its salt. It can come across as sycophantic back-slapping in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by imajica View Post
    So what's the point of having a forum if posters are supposed to merely switch off the TV instead of posting honest feedback on here? A forum where only praise is desired isn't worth its salt. It can come across as sycophantic back-slapping in my opinion.
    You've posted your honest feelings just as others have responded with theirs. That they don't agree with you or feel that one of your choices if you don't like the program, or ANY program for that matter, is to turn off the show and watch something else is no less honest.

I am sure you have read the credits for UTD on the telly and noticed that Mr. King is the Executive Producer so what we are watching have been OKd by him.

Keep the novel and the tv show separate in your mind, if the tv show offends watch something else or better yet, turn off the tv and read the book. If you don't like the book give it your local library; someone there will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    You've posted your honest feelings just as others have responded with theirs. That they don't agree with you or feel that one of your choices if you don't like the program, or ANY program for that matter, is to turn off the show and watch something else is no less honest.
    I have no doubt about the poster's honesty, nor did I question it. However, I feel that merely writing 'if you don't like it, switch off' can discourage people from expressing how they feel, and is hardly conducive to a rigourous debate.

As I see it, the people who have expressed their feelings in those terms don't want to hear another side of the story. What they really want is to have people agree with their opinion because any suggestions to read Stephen's statement about why he is okay with the changes that have been made, or that perhaps they should consider the book and the show as two separate projects, or to simply turn the show off are not well received. It's fine for them to have a different opinion but don't expect that everyone else will agree with it or not post a response disagreeing with it. And the tone that is taken with the first post is often one that puts regular posters in a defensive posture.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by imajica View Post
    I have no doubt about the poster's honesty, nor did I question it. However, I feel that merely writing 'if you don't like it, switch off' can discourage people from expressing how they feel, and is hardly conducive to a rigourous debate.
    Debate?...hmm, and a rigorous one no less?...s'okay, you win, you know, the "debate".
    (would somebody start tellin' me these things, y'all know how I like to pretend I'm prepared)
    Last edited by PatInTheHat; September 4th, 2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: hey somebody keeps boostin' my white flag, smileyboy gets shot it's your azzzz

I'm a master debater, very rigorous, too.

Last edited by PatInTheHat; 6 Minutes Ago at 09:31 AM. Reason: hey somebody keeps boostin' my white flag, smileyboy gets shot it's your azzzz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12