Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Carrie novel

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Carrie novel

Default Carrie novel

Have never understood those parts in the Carrie novel where it has like "excerpts from/....." what was the point of that? anyone understand that?

Default Re: Carrie novel

...it's an epistolary novel...

An epistolary novel is a novel written as a series of documents. The usual form is letters, although diary entries, newspaper clippings and other documents are sometimes used. Recently, electronic "documents" such as recordings and radio, blogs, and e-mails have also come into use. The word epistolary is derived from Latin from the Greek word ἐπιστολή epistolē, meaning a letter (see epistle).

The epistolary form can add greater realism to a story, because it mimics the workings of real life. It is thus able to demonstrate differing points of view without recourse to the device of an omniscient narrator.

...and yeah, we all understood it-what's the problem?...it was the first, but certainly not the last time he used this device...

Yep, I understood it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post

An epistolary novel is a novel written as a series of documents. The usual form is letters, although diary entries, newspaper clippings and other documents are sometimes used. Recently, electronic "documents" such as recordings and radio, blogs, and e-mails have also come into use. The word epistolary is derived from Latin from the Greek word ἐπιστολή epistolē, meaning a letter (see epistle).

The epistolary form can add greater realism to a story, because it mimics the workings of real life. It is thus able to demonstrate differing points of view without recourse to the device of an omniscient narrator.

...and yeah, we all understood it-what's the problem?...it was the first, but certainly not the last time he used this device...
    Hot dang, GNT!! Who knew you were so scholarly?! That's hot!

Spidey has taken over the Giant.

Great post, and thank you GNT.

I just finished my reread of Carrie-it's been YEARS since I read it. There's probably something VERY wrong with me, but I didn't feel anything but pity for her the entire book. I understand that innocent people died who probably didn't torment and mock her but...noone ever really stood up to those who were constantly making her life a living hell either. (Her gym teacher probably tried the most.) I read somewhere that SK didn't particularly like the Carrie White character, but I'm sure he had at least some compassion toward her. And everything comes full circle-the current hot topic of bullying for example. This novel will always be relevant. I believe even those living the dream, seemingly having the "perfect" charmed life, have experienced at least a little rejection and the fear of not belonging. And to those who have suffered more than a little from cruelty and the dark side of human nature-well, they empathize and relate to Carrie even more.

I have decided to start from the beginning of Kings works again and just finished Carrie, loved the way its written with the different excerpts and different perspectives. And i also felt sorry for Carrie all the way through. Im just glad Kings wife pulled this out of the bin in time!!

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post

Another very note-worthy novel written in this fashion is Dracula. 'Nuff said.

Shun me good people if you feel it necasary, but I have never read Carrie.

A while back I almost bought the paperback version for fairly cheap, but didn't. So the other day I thought about it while I was at the book store, but wouldn't you know it, the version that they were selling had a new cover (from the new movie maybe?), and unfortunaltey a new price. I ended up buying a damaged version of Dr. Sleep instead. But someday I will read that book! :/