Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
October Horror Movie Marathon 2013 - Page 38

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: October Horror Movie Marathon 2013

Default Re: October Horror Movie Marathon 2013

22. It Came From Outer Space (1953) Based on a story called The Meteor by Ray Bradbury. A meteor that is really a spaceship falls and the aliens start taking over people's bodies.

More scifi than horror, but there were some tense moments. Some parts moved slow, but as a whole I enjoyed the movie. One of those humanity isn't ready to handle higher life forms type of story.

23. Mother's Day (2010) Crazed members of a sadistic family return to their childhood home to terrorize the new owners.

I was expecting a slasher movie, just based on the title and the fact that practically every holiday has one. But it wasn't. Not to say there wasn't plenty of blood and gore. Rebecca DeMornay plays the matriarch of a family of criminals. While the boys are off robbing banks and hiding out, she loses their house to foreclosure. But the boys do not know this so when it comes time to meet up that's where they go. And find a couple and a bunch of their friends. This movie was very violent and hard to watch at points. Rebecca DeMornay always does play a great psycho b**ch though.
    Last edited by cat in a bag; October 24th, 2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Forgot to number my movies!

My oldest son and I will periodically look at each other and with a southern accent say, "I love you Starla."

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    26. Slither (2006)

This one is a lot of fun. A meteorite crashes on earth and unleashes some worm like creatures looking for hosts. This is a good blend of B-movie, horror and comedy. Itís similar to Tremors in tone. 7/10
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

24. Creep. A girl gets stuck in the subway at night. It comes out she is not alone there, and someone is killing all the people that appeared to be there at that late time. Really creepy movie. Far from bad!

24. The Shining (1980)
    Isolated hotel caretaker loses his marbles while his psychic son dodges the ghosties. I saw this in a full-sized theater screen with a packed audience last night and it was an incredible experience. Not only one of my all-time favorite horror movies, but one of my favorite movies of all time, period, "The Shining" still carries a resonance that has kept people puzzling over and talking about this movie for over 30 years. There's the awesome and epic scale of the setting, never has isolation been so palpable through a movie screen. There's Kubrick's steadicam floating effortlessly down hallways and through the hedge maze. There's the amazing musical soundtrack, and live recorded sounds such as Danny's big wheel trike as it goes over rugs and hardwood floors. There's Jack Nicholson's incredibly over-the-top performance, skewering the facade of the wholesome family unit. And of course there's those creepy girls standing in the hotel hallways! Always a divisive movie for Stephen King fans, the film must be viewed independently of the novel to truly appreciate it. 5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
    FTV denotes first time viewing
    1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
    2. Uzumaki (FTV)
    3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)
    4. Midnight Son (FTV)
    5. Excision (FTV)
    6. Absentia (FTV)
    7. Sleep Tight (FTV)
    8. Lunacy (FTV)
    9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)
    10. The Woman in Black (FTV)
    11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)
    12. Chained (FTV)
    13. Frankenweenie
    14. Mum and Dad (FTV)
    15. Malevolence (FTV)
    16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)
    17. Juan of the Dead (FTV)
    18. The Awakening (FTV)
    19. Blood and Black Lace (FTV)
    20. Naboer (Next Door) (FTV)
    21. Carrie (2013) (FTV)
    22. Eye of the Devil (FTV)
    23. Splinter (FTV)
    24. The Shining (1980)

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    26. Slither (2006)

This one is a lot of fun. A meteorite crashes on earth and unleashes some worm like creatures looking for hosts. This is a good blend of B-movie, horror and comedy. Itís similar to Tremors in tone. 7/10
    Slither is a blast!

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    24. The Shining (1980)
    Isolated hotel caretaker loses his marbles while his psychic son dodges the ghosties. I saw this in a full-sized theater screen with a packed audience last night and it was an incredible experience. Not only one of my all-time favorite horror movies, but one of my favorite movies of all time, period, "The Shining" still carries a resonance that has kept people puzzling over and talking about this movie for over 30 years. There's the awesome and epic scale of the setting, never has isolation been so palpable through a movie screen. There's Kubrick's steadicam floating effortlessly down hallways and through the hedge maze. There's the amazing musical soundtrack, and live recorded sounds such as Danny's big wheel trike as it goes over rugs and hardwood floors. There's Jack Nicholson's incredibly over-the-top performance, skewering the facade of the wholesome family unit. And of course there's those creepy girls standing in the hotel hallways! Always a divisive movie for Stephen King fans, the film must be viewed independently of the novel to truly appreciate it. 5 out of 5 stars.
    I'm with you, I love this one. Nobody is just ho-hum about this one, they either love it or hate it. I think it says something that this 33 year old movie still can cause such a stir when you bring it up in conversation. I'm sure there are more threads about it (both love and hate) on this board than any other movie. My favorite quote about the movie is from director Sydney Pollack when he was talking about it on one of the dvd interviews. He said, "I'm not even sure that I like it but I can't stop watching it."

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert_Grady View Post
    Today I watched the 2005 silent film, The Call of Cthulhu, directed by Andrew Leman. This is a rather short piece (47 min.), as it should be, made under a decade ago but filmed in what they call "Mytho-Scope" and in the style of a movie made at the time the original short story was written. This is an amazing project and easily the most respectable attempt to adapt a Lovecraft tale onto the screen. It is B & W and silent...and wonderful. Most highly recommended.

Attachment 18758

I saw this movie recently and it truly is a work of art.

Haunts (1977). Most "bad" movies are mercifully short but this one seemed to go on forever. It turned out to be only 97 minutes long but half-way through I couldn't stand it anymore and did some chores like brushing the dog and balancing the checkbook while watching. A killer's on the loose in a small town, stabbing people with scissors and a young religious woman becomes the next target. We are supposed to feel sorry for her but I just wanted the killer to do her in so it would be over.

This guy, Cameron Mitchell, was in it. He's popped up in several of the movies I've watched for this marathon.

Hurry up and die already.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

24. Bad Ronald -- 1974 -- starring Scott Jacoby, Dabney Coleman, Kim Hunter (Planet of the Apes's Zira)

Bad Ronald freaked me out as a kid for so many reasons. Outcast weirdo boy kills girl (accidentally) and runs home to weird and overprotective mother (same sort of vibe like Margaret White minus the religion) and they have to hide him. Mom has a gallbladder surgery and dies, and Ronald is left to fend for himself. A new family moves into the home not knowing they share it with bad, bad Ronald.

The same feelings were there as I viewed it as an adult. Only, I saw how really horrible ALL the young female character's acting was this go round. And the ending was just weak. I'd love to see this get remade. The right director could mold this into a really intense and scary movie for today's audiences. And it could be done the right way -- no blood, no sex, no boobs. Intense psychological thriller with the good parts left in.
    Last edited by Dana Jean; October 24th, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast