This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: October Horror Movie Marathon 2013

Default Re: October Horror Movie Marathon 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    Hurry up and die already.

Last night I returned to Stephen King country and watched one of my favorites from when I was a kid, Christine. I don't know what the consensus on this movie is, but I think it is just plain cool and fun. The scene where

Christine repairs herself
    remains one of my favorite cinematic moments of all time, and I cannot praise the performance of Keith Gordon as Arnie Cunningham enough...whatever happened to that guy?

I also really liked Christine. One thing about most Stephen King movies, they always have great music.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    I also really liked Christine. One thing about most Stephen King movies, they always have great music.
    I first heard one of my all time favorite songs, Not Fade Away by Buddy Holly, while watching Christine as a boy. It took years for the song to cease reminding me of the movie.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

27. The Hole (2009)

This one is more for kids but it is entertaining for adults too. A couple of brothers discover a bottomless hole in their basement and creepy and scary stuff starts happening. 6/10

25. Taxidermia
    Strange, dark tale of three generations of oddball Hungarian men: a perverted groundskeeper ruled by a tyrannical ex military man, a world-class competitive eater, and a taxidermist who raises show cats the size of St. Bernards. This is more of a transgressive fantasy tale (in the vein of Jeunet & Caro's "Delicatessen") than a true horror story, but the film does manage to horrify, shock, and certainly disgust. Although some might call this an anthology, there are common threads of ancestry and depravity throughout the story, with each segment featuring the son of the man from the prior segment, and each with a strange obsession. From the opening scene where within minutes we are treated to the sight of a masturbating man ejaculating a jet of blue-orange flames with the assistance of a lit candle, to the most repulsive eating competition since "The Revenge of Lardass Hogan" barf-o-rama segment from "Stand By Me", to the final ten minutes when the taxidermist/cat raiser does something so viscerally painful that I defy anyone to watch it while eating, "Taxidermia" may not strictly be horror, but it's something that will get under your skin. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
    FTV denotes first time viewing
    1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
    2. Uzumaki (FTV)
    3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)
    4. Midnight Son (FTV)
    5. Excision (FTV)
    6. Absentia (FTV)
    7. Sleep Tight (FTV)
    8. Lunacy (FTV)
    9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)
    10. The Woman in Black (FTV)
    11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)
    12. Chained (FTV)
    13. Frankenweenie
    14. Mum and Dad (FTV)
    15. Malevolence (FTV)
    16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)
    17. Juan of the Dead (FTV)
    18. The Awakening (FTV)
    19. Blood and Black Lace (FTV)
    20. Naboer (Next Door) (FTV)
    21. Carrie (2013) (FTV)
    22. Eye of the Devil (FTV)
    23. Splinter (FTV)
    24. The Shining (1980)
    25. Taxidermia (FTV)

Flowers In The Attic (1987). I needed a break from watching really stupid horror films so I watched this movie. Based on the novel by V.C. Andrews, the movie is about four children locked in an attic and cared for by their evil, religious fanatic grandmother. Why are they there? Well, the plot is like a soap opera so I'll spare you the details. That being said, I love this movie! Flowers In The Attic, along with Dirty Dancing are the two movies my daughters and I watched often during the 1990s. And even though the movie was trashed by the critics, I will always have a soft spot for it.

Louise Fletcher does a good job playing the nut job grandmother in this film.
    Last edited by Autumn Gust; October 25th, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: picture posting problems :-(

25. Tales from the Hood -- 1995, starring: Clarence Williams III, Corbin Bernsen, Wings Hauser, David Alan Grier

4 stories told to 3 gangstas looking for drugs, a funeral home director played very creepily by Clarence Williams III wants to show these guys the error of their ways. Obviously more than just spooky stories here, they are ethical, moral, philosophical tales with lessons to learn. I love anthologies, I love short stories so this works for me just like those British ones.

One of the stories has dolls in it and they are awesome! Creepy dolls are always great. I think it goes back to The Twilight Zone when a British Colonel is cursed, but before he dies, he sends a doll of his own.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

28. The Burrowers (2008)

Here’s a nice twist, a horror tale that takes place in the late 1800s in the Wild West. A group sets out after some Indians that they think have kidnapped 4 people from one family. They find more than they bargained for. 6/10

25. Mama. Enough has been already said about this movie here. Very good movie. Surprisingly good.

Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast