Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dracula on NBC

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dracula on NBC

Default Dracula on NBC

... is anyone going to check 'Dracula' out on Friday night?

(the show not the dude)

Default Re: Dracula on NBC

Yes, I'll be dog sitting and they don't have cable.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    Yes, I'll be dog sitting and they don't have cable.
    Hahahahaha! Well, there's a valid excuse to watch! (hugs)

I want to, but I'll probably miss it, have trick or treating and dinner plans for Friday night... Looks interesting!

...I hope it doesn't suck.....ooooooo, I'm so damned cute!....

It was pretty terrible, IMHO. Embarrassing for the makers, I would imagine.

Starts over here this week. Ad looks iffy. The only women mooching around Victorian London sans hats were (seen as) harlots, and even working class chappies wore caps. Going hatless...tut tut.
    On top of that, I'm not at all convinced that TV is the proper format. Film, yes - 90-120 mins or maybe a bit longer is OK. A series spanning several hours? That's stretching the story so thin it'll tear apart, and I've no great interest in watching Vlad moon around like some lovesick glittery 'vampire' from Twilight (even if that's what he is and kind of always was - in the past he's gone in and took what he wanted; this time...they can't help but make him too passive).
    It'll just be another thing where I'm hoping (pointlessly, I admit) that Blade will show up.

i didn't think it was 'awful' as awful goes....what was most annoying to me was the sound quality. It's tiresome having to go back and try to peck the dialogue from the over the top orchestra playing in the background. I thought some of the imagery was rather lush and reminded me slightly of Francis Ford Coppola's version. I enjoy Rhys-Myers as an actor and i think he gives the role a valid breath if not a too-pretty one. I also enjoy the banter between Dracula and Renfield.... making Renfield more of a fellow conspirator and less of a servant. I do find it slightly off-kilter to be showing Dracula in a more benevolent light... would the authentic Vlad Dracul care a fig that the Order of the Dragon is a pack of murders and rapists? He'd care not and if he did, it would only be because they were poaching from his territory.

From previews i had almost expected a SteamPunk inspired fantasy here and since they've already taken so many liberties with the original work, i wouldn't have been surprised if they had. Dracula in the Industrial Age, sure? Dracula the Inventor.....eh.........not so much.

I am hoping that the series becomes much edgier and gives the legendary vampire back his bite, as it were. Too many new vampire inspired works smack way too much of Twilight. It boggles my imagination how much play that series has gotten considering it's author (who i won't so much as grace with an acknowledgement by typing her name here) is a HACK who has managed to castrate an entire genre.

I like Rhys-Meyers, but found him superior to the material here. The depiction of Dracula as

some sort of avenger
    made me *sideeye*--nearly as bad as making him sparkle . I also found the dialogue stilted and

the Matrix-like fight
    silly. I think it would like to be steampunk--that was my first thought, too, VampireLily.

I'm having much better luck finding scary material on Brit TV--US is too timid, the writing is often vapid, and the special effects budgets anemic.
    Last edited by Moderator; October 30th, 2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fixed spoiler coding

Quote Originally Posted by skimom2 View Post
    I'm having much better luck finding scary material on Brit TV--US is too timid, the writing is often vapid, and the special effects budgets anemic.
    i LOOOVE BBC America and yes, it is much more substantial than American Television, which tends to dumb things down. "Being Human" for instance was perfect in it's original BBC incarnation, why they felt the need to translate it into something else once it came here is a mystery. I'd rather they just buy the rights to the original show and show them here instead of a poorly executed remake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast