This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrie Remake

Default Re: Carrie Remake

Quote Originally Posted by amerk View Post
    Some movies I'm okay with a remake, if it can be done better, especially if the original has not aged well. The problem is, most remakes don't strive to be anything better, and wind up being lackluster.

But Carrie is not one I think should have been remade. Brian de Palma knew what he was doing when he created the original, and did it well. Everything about that movie still holds up today, and it's still a very clever, chilling horror movie.

The problem with a remake is that it's not going to invoke anything new we haven't seen before, because the original was done so well.
    You're going to get to see an entire town get blown to smithereens that you didn't see in the original......

I'm hoping for a kid-free Friday or Saturday evening to go see it in theaters. I told babe already that I want us to go see it in theaters if we get the chance. Now just gotta convince Nana that she wants the kiddo for an evening

I'm really not burning of desire to go see the remake. For me the original was the best adaptation of a SK novel ever. I saw the previews the other day, and it didn't impress me that much. Why do they have to do this? Sissy was just so incredibly awesome at portraying Carrie White, not to mention that Piper gave the most amazing performance as her mommy. I have watched the movie several times, as I really enjoy it, but a remake...hmmm... I can't figure out how they could make it better. It is an incredible work of art, so for me even Steven Spielberg can't make it better. or could he? Anyway who is the director?

I want to see it, and I like the original too. Nothing wrong with bringing it back. Maybe, just maybe, the remake will bring the younger generations some joy that they wouldn't otherwise get. And maybe, just maybe, Sai King will get some new fans.

Everyone save your time and money. This is a completely unnecessary remake that adds nothing. Seriously dreadful. The 2002 TV movie was way better.

I went to see this new Carrie adaptation last night and I must say that, while utterly superfluous and definitely not as fun or creepy as the Brian De Palma original, it was far from a terrible adaption. The story is basically the same as the first, as it should be, but ever so slightly modernized. The special effects, while not state of the art by today's standards, are as good as if not better than that of the original. In every other way the original is better.

As for the cast, Julianne Moore is outstanding as Margaret White. She tones down the fanaticism a bit but is still effortlessly disturbing and frightening...I would say her performance equals that of Piper Laurie in the original. As for Carrie herself, while I have no real qualms about Chloe Grace Moretz's performance, which was not bad at all, I feel she is far too attractive to be believable as a high school pariah...she may be loathed by the girls because of her demeanor, but some suspension of disbelief is required to believe that the boys would be blatantly abusive toward her (she would be the hot girl with very low self esteem that all the HS jerks would be trying to bang). The girl who plays Chris Hargenson was not terribly effective, nor was the actress playing Sue Snell.

Overall, this is most definitely a pointless endeavor, but not the worst King adaptation I have seen (or will see)...not by a longshot!

I reread Carrie and just finished rewatching the original movie. I don't expect the new version to even be in the same stratosphere as the original, but it might be kinda fun to go see it on the big screen for Halloween!

I went to see it and I am glad I did. Not as good as the original but still good. I liked the way the final scene with her main tormenters was handled. I really liked the new ending, better than the old one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12