Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Room 237 Documentary - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Room 237 Documentary

Default Re: Room 237 Documentary

In another documentary, the guy says that every place where Kubrick changed King's plot is a clue to his hypothesis. And that's just the beginning of his craziness...

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    She was a fantastic Olive Oyl! They couldn't have picked anyone better.
    Good Lawd, I will never forget her singing her song about Brutus 'And He's Large....!!!' in her sqeaking voice! She really was an absolutely perfect Olive Oyl! Makes me laugh just thinking about her in that movie!

The Shining is the best comedy out there! Outdoes The Hangover by leaps and bounds!! Makes you bust a gut better than Bridesmaids!! And, did you know that you can play Pink Floyds The Wall as a soundtrack? It fits! Try it!

Talking Re: Room 237 Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Kubrick changed the room number from 217 to 237 at the request of the Timberline Lodge where some of the exteriors were shot (the ones that show the mountain in the background). Hotel management was concerned that no one would want to stay in their real room 217 because of the sinister scene in the movie, so it was changed to 237 which doesn't exist in the building.

I'm a fan of both the movie and the documentary, which I saw earlier this year. I found the documentary very interesting although some of the theories are really stretching things (the skiing poster as a Minotaur I thought was pretty ridiculous). However, this movie does haunt a lot of people so I did connect with the people in the movie who were analyzing (and at times overanalyzing) it.
    I'm certainly not saying you're wrong because I , personally, have not researched the room number. According to Jay Weidner, there was no room 217 at the Timberline. Weidner states that was what Kubrick stated but claims the inaccuracy of the statement supports his claim that Kubrick felt he could not honestly address the topic. I don't know that I buy ANY of the theories, but they are interesting. The Minotaur interpretation is actually pretty interesting in literary terms, and drawing parallels among unrelated works is standard in academics. Did Kubrick intend the parallel? Who knows? Certainly he would have known the myth. He read voraciously. Most artists work from the subconscious as well as the conscious mind.

It has piqued my interest in Kubrick's work apart from my interest in King, which might lead to some interesting research. But I think in the long haul, King's novel will eventually be more respected than Kubrick's film. It is an almost perfect horror novel. It's unfortunate that the literary canon is so resistant to change. When film has been around as long as textual fiction -- about 4,000 years -- it will probably be more difficult for films to be considered "classics" too.

I think people know I'm not a big Shelley Duvall fan. I didn't read this with any glee, but it was nice to know I wasn't the only one who felt Shelley was in full rigor mortis during this movie.

The newspaper Variety had this to say about Shelly's performance. Don't shoot the messenger please. Their words, not mine.

"Shelley Duvall, who transforms the warm, sympathetic wife of the book into a simpering, semi-retarded hysteric..."

I'm watching this documentary right now and I don't know, this all seems to be so absurd. Although I guess Kubrick was known for putting in subliminal shots and hidden meanings into his films. I think Stephen has said in an interview that he felt Kubrick was alluding to the Nazis.
    Oh, I agree with both your and Variety's assessment of Duvall. I didn't know King had commented on the Nazi theory. Thanks for that info! Frankly, King's comments increase the validity of that theory in my eyes. I have much more respect for him than the theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost19 View Post
    I watched the documentary all the way thru but it seemed very concerned with all the symbolism Kubrick worked into the movie....so being as I'm not real bright to begin with, the documentary seemed to drag a bit.
    DON'T say that about yourself! The documentary has some problems. First, it would have been easier to follow if each theory had been dealt with separately. It is difficult at times to know which theory is being discussed. This confusion is deepened by the failure to identify the speakers. The men's voices sound the same to me. If I really want to track it all down, I'm going to have to rent the DVD in hopes that speakers are identified in captioning. I found it a little hard to follow, and I've been drowning in academic literary theory since 1991. It is the writer's responsibility to structure the message so the audience understands it, and the directors could have done a better job.

Someone in the documentary talks about Halloran driving up to the Overlook and he passes a wreck--a semi has tipped over onto a red VW, which is what color the bug was in the book. Kubrick changed it to yellow. This guy said this was a big F U to Stephen because Kubrick was going to make the movie how he wanted to, and all the changes supposedly drove STeve nuts.

Whether any of that is true is up for interpretation.
    With all due respect to Kubrick, his "vehicle" is far from crushing King's. I'm not sure they are on the same road.

In the documentary, it was said that Kubrick changed the room number to 237 because that was the room where he shot the fake moon landing shots. The person talking went onto say (sorry I don't remember the name of who was talking) that he wasn't saying that we never went to the moon, just that the shots that we see are fake. And Kubrick filmed them in a room numbered 237.

Also, another person said (or maybe it was the same person?) that 2x3x7 is 42 -- The year WWII started = the Nazis.

Apparently the number 42 is used all over Kubrick's visual of The Shining.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

The thing I found interesting and it seemed to be true-- When Jack is waiting in the lobby of the hotel when he and the family arrive, he is reading a magazine. A Playgirl. First, that's a mag for women of naked men. Second, it's in the hotel lobby?
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast