This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how old is john coffey?

Default how old is john coffey?

me and my friends have been debateing how old john coffey is. he is probley more than 108, how old paul edcomb(tom hanks) is. also he has lots of scars which look like whip scars. So i recon over 150.

Default Re: how old is john coffey?

How did you decide he was more than 108?

Something tells me he has 33 years old. And the scars in his body are from the age in which he was another miracle man...

hahahahahahaha more like 40s

Quote Originally Posted by james f View Post
    me and my friends have been debateing how old john coffey is. he is probley more than 108, how old paul edcomb(tom hanks) is. also he has lots of scars which look like whip scars. So i recon over 150.
    I think Paul outlived John by 60 years or so. Paul was outliving everyone there for awhile.
    I think John Coffey was a young man in his 20's. The number of scars doesn't signify age to me. I don't think he was a pre-Civil War slave. I think he was an abused child and an abused young man- always on the run. Mostly he was hiding from himself.
    The John Coffey character is one of the purest forms of light in the written word. He just wanted to help, he knew he could help, and he was sorry for who he was. That just rips my heart to shreds.

Long days and pleasant nights.

heheheh, just read the scar lover by harrycrews, a re-read, and a good story, if you're interested. scars mean the hurt is over. scars signify a wound healed. the scars never bothered jcoffey, no? he's past all that. could be that it takes a hundred and eight years to get over it. but i prefer to think time can work more quickly. and i don't think we need to go back to civil war times to find scars. most scars are much more recent than that.

I don't think scars mean age either but since he was by all means magical to cure people he could be older than he appeared

I think John Coffey got those scars at a tender age. I am thinking that unless it was a public beating, anyone would think twice before beating that large man no matter his slowness. 108yrs?

Hmmm, 34?
    Propably ........

My best guess would be that John Coffey was 33 years old at the time he was executed. I have always thought that John Coffey was an allusion to Jesus Christ by Sai King. The initials are the same. Just one little example.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast