Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Losing my religion - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing my religion

Default Re: Losing my religion

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Thanks, guys. This has rather upset the apple cart, so that makes it difficult, but I am working on it because it's important, and I'm not willing to be less than myself anymore.
    ...good for you honey...goood for you...beautifully scripted introspective post and I must agree...I no longer believe in "God" by that name, I believe there IS a power out there-but not one so personally engaged in us...I just prefer to use Steve's term of "The White" anymore....much love to you...

Theres something comforting in realizing you are not alone

Quote Originally Posted by CCAL View Post
    Theres something comforting in realizing you are not alone
    Yes, there is. Especially when the people around you are acting like you're losing your mind a little bit.

I think that this is where religion fails, really. They don't leave things open for the individual to figure out. They just want people to follow along blindly, and I don't believe that this is what God wants. He wants us to figure things out for ourselves. We've all got brains in our little heads, and most of can read and listen and understand and agree...or not agree and understand. Religion likes to try and make things "black and white" when in truth I think that most things are grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    I think that this is where religion fails, really. They don't leave things open for the individual to figure out. They just want people to follow along blindly, and I don't believe that this is what God wants. He wants us to figure things out for ourselves. We've all got brains in our little heads, and most of can read and listen and understand and agree...or not agree and understand. Religion likes to try and make things "black and white" when in truth I think that most things are grey.
    This is the part that bothers me the most, I think. We're supposed to believe in science as long as it doesn't encroach on religion ... and we're supposed to think critically up to the covers of that ancient book ... but beyond that, thinking is verboten. That does not make sense to me.

My 2 cents: maybe it's not so much that you're losing your religion as that you're maturing, in whatever faith. I'm a fairly religious person, but with an understanding that we are intended to think, to question, even to doubt. That's why we have the ability to reason. Blind faith is a child's faith--milk, when we're meant to have meat (apologies to vegans--this is meant figuratively) . We're meant to study, and think, and reason, and argue, all with an open mind and an open heart. A church that teaches that we are to ignore science is foolish, and the oldest churches don't teach that. Individual people might, but it's not biblical, it's doctrinal, which doesn't necessarily have to do with God. (and yes, I have friends who believe the earth is 6K years old, and every word of the Bible is meant as literal truth. They mean well.)

I've been where you are a few years ago, and I know how difficult it can be. All best wishes for your journey, Todash.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    This is the part that bothers me the most, I think. We're supposed to believe in science as long as it doesn't encroach on religion ... and we're supposed to think critically up to the covers of that ancient book ... but beyond that, thinking is verboten. That does not make sense to me.
    Personally, I think that science and religion can and do go hand in hand. I am a very unlikely Christian, in that I feel that the Bible is more of a guide. I feel that it has been corrupted by man over time, perhaps since the beginning. Use the book as a guide but remember when it was written, also remember that it has been translated again and again, and man always has an agenda. What you have to do is question everything, then look to your heart and soul for the answers.

You've got support here, no doubt about that. We are all here for you, Todash. God bless.
    Last edited by Chuggs; October 28th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Personally, I think that science and religion can and do go hand in hand. I am a very unlikely Christian, in that I feel that the Bible is more of a guide. I feel that it has been corrupted by man over time, perhaps since the beginning. Use the book as a guide but remember when it was written, also remember that it has been translated again and again, and man always has an agenda. What you have to do is question everything, then look to your heart and soul for the answers.

You've got support here, no doubt about that. We are all here for you, Todash. God bless.
    Zackly..I think God intends us to use our hearts,minds and bodies to our best,and when the book of the bible is twisted or subverted by others with their own agendas,we are not doing what was intended..is there a Random?Probably,but to me,SK's version of God in the Girl who loved Tom Gordon,as the Subaudible,is probably as near as we can find to correct as anything..

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by skimom2 View Post
    My 2 cents: maybe it's not so much that you're losing your religion as that you're maturing, in whatever faith. I'm a fairly religious person, but with an understanding that we are intended to think, to question, even to doubt. That's why we have the ability to reason. Blind faith is a child's faith--milk, when we're meant to have meat (apologies to vegans--this is meant figuratively) . We're meant to study, and think, and reason, and argue, all with an open mind and an open heart. A church that teaches that we are to ignore science is foolish, and the oldest churches don't teach that. Individual people might, but it's not biblical, it's doctrinal, which doesn't necessarily have to do with God. (and yes, I have friends who believe the earth is 6K years old, and every word of the Bible is meant as literal truth. They mean well.)

I've been where you are a few years ago, and I know how difficult it can be. All best wishes for your journey, Todash.

I keep telling her to ditch the religion and just do whatever I say but it doesn't seem to be working.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast