Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Does Stephen paint himself?/His interest in painting in later works. - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Stephen paint himself?/His interest in painting in later works.

Default Re: Does Stephen paint himself?/His interest in painting in later works.

It's just a poster (not by Stephen King) but it's kinda nice

Default Re: Does Stephen paint himself?/His interest in painting in later works.

Drawing/painting seems to me a freer, more personal form of expression than writing.

When you think about it: with writing you're more limited in a way; you're bound by grammar and syntax. Something like a totally abstract painting is harder/impossible to do in writing.

Also, words are more or less preset/existent - they're less uniquely those of the writer (although some writers have invented words, of couse). The shapes and forms a painter uses can be totally unique though.

And words/sentences have to do with thoughts/cerebral ideas. A painting is more purely emotion/aesthetics.

What I actually like about graphic novels a lot, is you can have the best of both. Although it seems harder in graphic novels to get more elaborated backstories/sidestories across - but I think this has more to do with the limit of the 22 page issue format than that it's not possible at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Drawing/painting seems to me a freer, more personal form of expression than writing.

When you think about it: with writing you're more limited in a way; you're bound by grammar and syntax. Something like a totally abstract painting is harder/impossible to do in writing.

Also, words are more or less preset/existent - they're less uniquely those of the writer (although some writers have invented words, of couse). The shapes and forms a painter uses can be totally unique though.

And words/sentences have to do with thoughts/cerebral ideas. A painting is more purely emotion/aesthetics.

What I actually like about graphic novels a lot, is you can have the best of both. Although it seems harder in graphic novels to get more elaborated backstories/sidestories across - but I think this has more to do with the limit of the 22 page issue format than that it's not possible at all.
    Painting, drawing, etc. is certainly more spur of the moment, for me anyways, than writing. Its not better or worse, just different. I love art in general, but writing is what I'm drawn to. The good thing about both is that it is all unique to the artist, even if an idea is the same or similar.

Words can paint pictures too.

No, Stephen does not paint but he does collect paintings and appreciates art. He's drawn more to surrealist painters/paintings. He occasionally will do a sketch when he signs a book, but it's something simple like a balloon when he signs IT, nothing more elaborate. His son, Joe, has more of the artistic talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Words can paint pictures too.
    Couldn't agree more.

I agree words can paint mental pictures, but there is a saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words', which I think doesn't exist for nothing.

I think there is a certain excitement in actually SEEING something for real. It's why we look forward to King-adaptations as films - they may be great, or they may disappoint, but we want to see those characters and situations on film even though we already know them.

Also, when someone tells you a remarkable story of something he/she saw, you go 'Oh, I wish I had seen that with my own eyes!'
    So words, I feel, always fall a little short of images.

When I read the title of this thread, I kept thinking "Why would Sai King paint himself?", as in paint his body. Blonde moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumnlyn View Post
    When I read the title of this thread, I kept thinking "Why would Sai King paint himself?", as in paint his body. Blonde moment.
    That question possibly falls into the 'oh God do we really want to know?' category...
    You know, along with yes/no belly-button lint, boxers or briefs and the classic innie/outie (belly button!) query.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    I agree words can paint mental pictures, but there is a saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words', which I think doesn't exist for nothing.

I think there is a certain excitement in actually SEEING something for real. It's why we look forward to King-adaptations as films - they may be great, or they may disappoint, but we want to see those characters and situations on film even though we already know them.

Also, when someone tells you a remarkable story of something he/she saw, you go 'Oh, I wish I had seen that with my own eyes!'
    So words, I feel, always fall a little short of images.
    I agree that a picture is worth a thousand words, for sure, and to me I tend to look at the story that the picture represents. I would love to write a story based off of a picture someday (A photo, a painting, a drawing, etc.).

I love seeing art and creating it. Both via words and images. Painting, etc. is awesome and I love it. But at the end of the day, I am a writer and that is where my artistic vision tends to take me. So that being said, words don't fall short to me. But we all are different, and that's what makes us great.

If you are a good storyteller, the visuals just come to your reader. That's what gets me about King. I have never set a foot in Maine, however, the way he describes everything, I can see it in my mind. He is a good storyteller. It's odd, you don't relate to the acts of most of his characters, however, he makes everyone human. He makes you care about them whether it's hatred or love. I really haven't read too many authors in my lifetime like him because each book you learn something new and there is something different he says with each book. And it's not just a couple of books, it's almost every one I have read. It's pretty rare. He should get more credit. Whether your a "super fan" or not. How many authors do you know that has reached out to so many, in so many ways, some without even knowing it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12