Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Hubie Marsten Questions

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Hubie Marsten Questions

Question Hubie Marsten Questions

Why does Hubie Marsten

kill his wife and then himself? We are told that his wife begged him to do it but little else. Is there any extra info in deleted scenes or is his (and his wife's) death purposefully left mysterious?
    Last edited by Moderator; October 30th, 2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags

Default Re: Hubie Marsten Questions

De Vermis Mysteriis

The Marsten house in SALEM'S LOT is an example of THE BAD PLACE (one of SK's archetypes, mentioned in DANSE MACABRE), in this case reflecting the evil from Hubie himself.

Hubie was a contract killer, at least corresponded with the vampire Barlow, and was a suspected child murderer. He was an evil, evil guy. The book (pg 221 in my copy) says he made her do something 'unspeakable' before she begged him to kill her (I love that whole passage so much--it has a rhythm like Faulkner, but is much more accessible).
    Mr. King lets us decide what that unspeakable thing might be. It's a perfect example of terror writing--what we can imagine is likely much worse than what he could come up with for us.

And now I know what I'm reading this week (for the 37 billionth time--lol)
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; October 30th, 2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I know, I've always wondered about that part, Hubie and his wife. I wish we had more info about them. Maybe sometime there will be a sequel, or prequel, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by skimom2 View Post
    The Marsten house in SALEM'S LOT is an example of THE BAD PLACE (one of SK's archetypes, mentioned in DANSE MACABRE), in this case reflecting the evil from Hubie himself.

Hubie was a contract killer, at least corresponded with the vampire Barlow, and was a suspected child murderer. He was an evil, evil guy. The book (pg 221 in my copy) says he made her do something 'unspeakable' before she begged him to kill her (I love that whole passage so much--it has a rhythm like Faulkner, but is much more accessible).
    Mr. King lets us decide what that unspeakable thing might be. It's a perfect example of terror writing--what we can imagine is likely much worse than what he could come up with for us.

And now I know what I'm reading this week (for the 37 billionth time--lol)
    ...beautifully stated!...and quite apt...