This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Question to the author-Use of a fairly new phrase in American speech in 1958

Default Question to the author-Use of a fairly new phrase in American speech in 1958

I am reading 11/22/63 and enjoying it tremendously. My question to Mr. King is your use of the phrase "thank you so much." by one of the characters while George is in the 1958 to 1963 past. I started noticing that this phrase has a replacement for the old "thank you very much about 2 years ago and is now the preferred phrase in everyday language. In the past I hardly ever remember it being used. Oversight, or on purpose?

Default Re: Question to the author-Use of a fairly new phrase in American speech in 1958

Maybe it depends on where you are from. I am in Edmonton and it is very common to say "thank you so much". Some folks say the very and some say the so.

Default Re: Question to the author-Use of a fairly new phrase in American speech in 1958

...regional dialects vary widely, and with the so-called "melting pot" effect in America...phrases end up everywhere...