Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Favourite Quotes and Quotations - Page 223

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 223 of 344 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273323 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 3439

Thread: Favourite Quotes and Quotations

Default Re: Favourite Quotes and Quotations

Quote Originally Posted by Becks19 View Post
    Friends are an aid to the young, to guard them from error; to the elderly, to attend to their wants and to supplement their failing power of action; to those in the prime of life, to assist them to noble deeds.
    - Aristotle
    Today was important for me,been walkin on eggshells,and found I am still strong like bull! as Ben Stiller says in 'Theres something about Mary'..anyhow,just before headin out to the doc's office,my favorite Gunsmoke episode was on(yeah I know,old fart,but heck I was probably four the first time I saw this one) and it is Matt Dillon,bidding goodbye to his young friend Paco.."Paco,I'll tell you something,you and I are friends,and friends don't forget,not ever..' Paco gives him his father's handmade crucifix'..Goodbye,Paco,my friend.." and rides off into the desert.. Matt was the original gunslinger,tough,laconic,yet funny and good..as it happens,I made some friends here this week,so this quote,added with Becks19 and my fortunate news,reinforces my belief that Ka is indeed a wheel..

At bottom, you see, we are not Homo sapiens at all. Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous mothersmuckers in the jungle.

Stephen King Cell

It is not the level of prosperity that makes for happiness but the kinship of heart to heart and the way we look at the world. Both attitudes are within our power, so that a man is happy so long as he chooses to be happy, and no one can stop him.
    - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

You may wonder where the plot is in all this. The answer--my answer, anyway--is nowhere. I won't ry to convince you that I've never plotted any more than I'd try to convince you that I'd never told a lie, but I do both as infrequently as possible. I distrust plot for two reasons: first, because our lives are largely plotless, even when you add in all our reasonable precautions and careful planning; and second, because I believe plotting and the spontaneity of real creation aren't compatible. It's best that I be as clear about this as I can--I want you to understand that my basic belief about the making of stories is that they pretty much make themselves. The job of the writer is to give them a place to grow (and to transcribe them, of course). If you can see things this way (or at least try to), we can work together comfortably. If, on the other hand, you decide I'm crazy, that's fine. You won't be the first. - Stephen King (On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft).

Quote Originally Posted by kingzeppelin View Post
    �At bottom, you see, we are not Homo sapiens at all. Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous mothersmuckers in the jungle.�

Stephen King Cell
    Nice one, Kingzep!

You may wonder where the plot is in all this. The answer--my answer, anyway--is nowhere. I won't ry to convince you that I've never plotted any more than I'd try to convince you that I'd never told a lie, but I do both as infrequently as possible. I distrust plot for two reasons: first, because our lives are largely plotless, even when you add in all our reasonable precautions and careful planning; and second, because I believe plotting and the spontaneity of real creation aren't compatible. It's best that I be as clear about this as I can--I want you to understand that my basic belief about the making of stories is that they pretty much make themselves. The job of the writer is to give them a place to grow (and to transcribe them, of course). If you can see things this way (or at least try to), we can work together comfortably. If, on the other hand, you decide I'm crazy, that's fine. You won't be the first. - Stephen King (On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft).
    Thankee, Frank. I'm loving all your samples from On Writing, the best book dedicated to the craft, IMO.

Yer welcome, kind sir.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
    Calvin Coolidge

I have found it advisable not to give too much heed to what people say when I am trying to accomplish something of consequence. Invariably they proclaim it can't be done. I deem that the very best time to make the effort.
    Calvin Coolidge

All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.

Havelock Ellis

The chemist who can extract from his heart's elements compassion, respect, longing, patience, regret, surprise, and forgiveness and compound them into one can create that atom which is called love.
    - Kahlil Gibran

I praise loudly; I blame softly.
    - Catherine II

Stories are relics, part of an undiscovered pre-existing world. The writer's job is to use the tools in his or her toolbox to get as much of each one out of the ground intact as possible. Sometimes the fossil you uncover is small; a seashell. Sometimes it's enormous, a Tyrannosaurus Rex with all those gigantic ribs and grinning teeth. Either way, short story or thousand-page whopper of a novel, the techniques of excavation remain basically the same. - Stephen King (On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft)