Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Favourite Quotes and Quotations - Page 224

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 224 of 344 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 3439

Thread: Favourite Quotes and Quotations

Default Re: Favourite Quotes and Quotations

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    Stories are relics, part of an undiscovered pre-existing world. The writer's job is to use the tools in his or her toolbox to get as much of each one out of the ground intact as possible. Sometimes the fossil you uncover is small; a seashell. Sometimes it's enormous, a Tyrannosaurus Rex with all those gigantic ribs and grinning teeth. Either way, short story or thousand-page whopper of a novel, the techniques of excavation remain basically the same. - Stephen King (On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft)
    and that is why we love his writing..he describes his art and everything about being a part of the species dead on..

I like, "Do ya say so, (insert name) of (insert area) ?
    ex, Do ya say so, Susannah of New York?
    To resond to every post on this thread.........Do ya say so, member of SKMB?

“No one ever does live happily ever after, but we leave the children to find that out for themselves.”

-Stephen King, Wolves of the Calla

“Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.”

Stephen King, The Stand

Joy increases as you give it, and diminishes as you try to keep it for yourself. In giving it, you will accumulate a deposit of joy greater than you ever believed possible.
    - Norman Vincent Peale

I really like the opening paragraph of Bag of Bones​. It really sets the mood for the book.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie View Post
    I really like the opening paragraph of Bag of Bones​. It really sets the mood for the book.
    You mean this paragraph?...

On a very hot day in August of 1994, my wife told me she was going down to the Derry Rite Aid to pick up a refill on her sinus medicine prescription--this is stuff you can buy over the counter these days, I believe. I'd finished my writing for the day and offered to pick it up for. She said thanks, but she wanted to get a piece of fish at the supermarket next door anyway; two birds with one stone and all that. She blew a kiss at me from the palm of her hand and went out. The next time I saw her, she was on TV. That's how you identify the dead here in Derry--no walking down a subterranean corridor with green tiles on the walls and long fluorescent bars overhead, no naked body rolling out of a chilly drawer on casters; you just go into an office marked PRIVATE and look at a TV screen and say yep or nope. - Stephen King (Bag of Bones)

“To err is human, to forgive, divine.”

-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    You mean this paragraph?...

On a very hot day in August of 1994, my wife told me she was going down to the Derry Rite Aid to pick up a refill on her sinus medicine prescription--this is stuff you can buy over the counter these days, I believe. I'd finished my writing for the day and offered to pick it up for. She said thanks, but she wanted to get a piece of fish at the supermarket next door anyway; two birds with one stone and all that. She blew a kiss at me from the palm of her hand and went out. The next time I saw her, she was on TV. That's how you identify the dead here in Derry--no walking down a subterranean corridor with green tiles on the walls and long fluorescent bars overhead, no naked body rolling out of a chilly drawer on casters; you just go into an office marked PRIVATE and look at a TV screen and say yep or nope. - Stephen King (Bag of Bones)
    Yeah. The contrast of the first half of this paragraph with last two sentences just really hits me.

“Don't ask me silly questions
    I won't play silly games
    I'm just a simple choo choo train
    And I'll always be the same.

I only want to race along
    Beneath the bright blue sky
    And be a happy choo choo train
    Until the day I die.”

Stephen King, The Waste Lands