This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcomers, Please Read...

Default Re: Newcomers, Please Read...

Did I just make a post?

Yes, but the Board is moderated and posts are read before going live so there can be a delay before you will see it. Please read the FAQ for more information.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Heckle View Post
    Did I just make a post?

I'm such a warped and twisted mental juvenile...sorry.

hello i'm new.

Thank-you Iam a new comer but Iam getting there.everyone has been wonderful!

I was happy, when I posted for the first time here, being welcomed. I felt actually welcome. I felt accepted and at home. I still feel it. This is the friendliest forum I know. The entire site is as ergonomic and well managed as any. I don't know how they do it.

I remember John Dahlglish welcoming me on my first post. Thanx John! I'm glad and grateful you're here. Thanx to all my other skmb friends, too.

hello

my name is michel. i'm from switzerland.
    i started reading Stephen-King-books because my father has got a lot of them in german and english already before i was born. i myself started with the first and second book from the tower series in the 90's and since then read a lot more. when i was a kid it also fascinated me, that someone that shares the same day as a birthday with me, writes such dark and horror stories. thats how i got into it.
    i also love to watch a lot of movies based on the novels and stories of Stephen King.
    so, last week i was in Luzern switzerland and found a shop for furniture that was called "KA International" and i thought that could be a good contribution for Stephen's Empire.
    thats all for now.
    see you later

michel

IN most sites I feel abit like a fly on the wall or the new kid at school who wants to join in but is hesitant to approach. So these welcome in messages are really nice to see! Virtual hugs to you all! Years ago when I 'discovered SK, I was instantly won over to his style of story-telling. (who isnt??)Over the years I became fasinated by his attitude toward his "constant readers". I finally 'got it'. Very,VERY few authors care in the least what their devoted readers think or feel. This is so refreshing, and to know thereis a place we can all meet up and review/discuss/cuss (ha) these books, movies and even future works is wonderful. The fact that SK doesnt charge admission is terrific. Especially when these days it seems everybody is out for a buck! So thank you for allowing me to enter and have my say. I love the many various places to visit and look forward to meeting you all.

Top of the mornin' to all...I'm not your typical SK fan...for years, I hated all the hype for his movies so avoided seeing them or reading any of his books...then, in the early 90s, I happened to see something on tv called "The Tommyknockers"; a friend had the book (book? who wrote it? then the usual 'the movie isn't as good as the book'...), I borrowed it & when it took me so long to read--everyone knows SK writes looooooooooong books, right?--I went out and bought it...then I discovered that SK had also written all those lovely Gunslinger short stories I loved so much in the SF mags! About then I was hooked: bought & read entire Dark Tower series--and am now playing catch-up to read allllll of his books...starting with the ones listed in the Dark Tower as tie-ins to it (on the last one, phew!)...Saw in Skeleton Crew that this site existed & here I am! I feel very welcome but it's taken me a 2 weeks to read all of just this thread; then I had to wait 'cause forum was closed for the weekend so I couldn't post! Soooo, long story shorter; I'll visit once in a while but I don't intend to spend that much time on all of the forums/threads...<sighs> But I still think you're all wonderful people & don't want you to think it's because of anyone here...^_^
    Judi

Quote Originally Posted by minerva View Post
    Hi, I'm Minerva, from Dubai, UAE... Thanks for the welcoming message MrsSmeej!
    One of the main reasons for joining this forum is to locate a short story by SK (dunno it's name; but have detailed it below), and the other reasons being to read the enlightening discussions contained herein, and channel my obsessions.

Anyways, the story goes something like this- it's a scifi story, written sometime during the 70s or 80s, dunno when.
    Mankind has invented a way to transport themselves to other parts of the Galaxy and it's like a gateway into which one enters, but the only condition being that one would have to close one's eyes, as the scientists had seen rats and other animals sent into the portal coming out in an extremely aged state.
    So there's this family, y'see, and they're getting into the portal after having dutifuly closed their eyes. But their youngest son, is a curious chap, and he surreptitiously keeps his eyes open. When they arrive on the other side, all of them are safe, and they await their youngest. But when finally comes out, he's incredibly aged, and almost falling apart but cackling with glee something like: "truly it was very long, very long, longer than anyone can imagine...." something like that.
    Now I don't know whether this story was written by SK, or that this story was selected by SK as part of a compendium, dunno what. I've been searching for this story for the past 10 years or so without success, and you'd have guessed by now why I'm here after all, eh?
    Ciao, guys, and I look forward to your response!
    Hey, Minerva...As it happens, I had just read that story last month or the month before so I recognized it right away! In case noone has told you already, it's in a story collection of SK's, entitled Skeleton Crew. I remember it was right in the middle of the book; sorry, I don't remember publication date--it was a library book & has gone back. <grins> There were a group of stories there; that one was scary--but I found a scarier one in the book I'm reading now Everything's Eventual... Of course, I haven't finished the book yet...^_^
    Judi

Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast