Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The Dark Tower Ending - I HATED IT! **SPOILERS** - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower Ending - I HATED IT! **SPOILERS**

Default Re: The Dark Tower Ending - I HATED IT!

I think the ending was absolute perfection. As many have already said, and I agree, it could not have ended any other way. As was said over and over in the series, Ka is a wheel.
    I will say I cried during many parts of the last book, and at one point I was actually angry with Sai King

for killing some of the characters in the story.
    . I got over it. I hope you will too.
    And, please read the other threads that pertain to this.

The ending redeemed the story for me. After what I considered to be a lame confrontation with The Crimson King, my interest was rejuvenated by the twist, which was, whether you enjoy it or not, one which works. It wouldn't have been a logical ending to have found the room at the top of The Dark Tower empty, for why would the center of everything be represented by nothing? I am willing to accept that there may be another ending (or endings) which would work, but I was left extremely satisfied by this one.

I can't say how Arthur Eld's horn will help him, but I doubt his journey will be any harder than it was in its previous "incarnation".

Quote Originally Posted by MwNNrules View Post
    The ending redeemed the story for me. After what I considered to be a lame confrontation with The Crimson King
    I have to agree with you. The ending was "right" in my mind. Maybe not what my heart was hoping for, but definitely honest. The battle with the Crimson King left me disappointed however. I felt like that was a cop out

seeing how Roland doesn't even fight him.

It was still an amazing series though - the best I've read.

Rosekey has hit the essence of it perfectly(see above post). And indeed any ending would have left somebody feeling cheated, but at least he made you feel something, how many books have you read where you feel nothing? Anger is great feeling to have and you should respect the fact that King is such a powerful writer that he could make you made at all!

I must admit I was too disappointed in the ending, but all of you have given me such a new and wonderful way of looking at it. I now want to take the journey again. It makes sense to me now, looking back at it. Thank you to all who took their time to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by poisonbat View Post
    I must admit I was too disappointed in the ending, but all of you have given me such a new and wonderful way of looking at it. I now want to take the journey again. It makes sense to me now, looking back at it. Thank you to all who took their time to post here.
    I felt the same way after finishing (wanting to go back and read again) but I lent them to my friend. GAR!!!!!!!

Default Re: The Dark Tower Ending

I don't see how indirect conflicts "conflict" with the endless-loop ending at all. Sounds like you were expecting something particular...

The loop concept pretty much rocked my brain. I can't dream of a better ending for the life of me...

My only complaint about conflicts would be the lack of a Roland/Flagg showdown.

My only other complaints about the books would be: King writing himself in the books, and "Songs of Suzannah" could have used some chapters from the last book to beef it up or something. Seemed a little short...

The story of Roland reminds me pretty damn badly of the story of The Christ. Not the storybook version, mind you, but just what he was, and what he stood for. Believe me, I'd like to see that cat turn around and go home too, or find a better battle than the one he's fighting. But that's just not his bag. He's one of the most important gears in the grand scheme of things, and it's because he doesn't have it in his power to give up.

Stephen King knew what he was talking about in this story, although I can understand why a casual reader would have a hard time with the ending.

I just wrote like two pages worth of a replay, and then it just got deleted, out of nowhere. That sucks, and I'm not even gunna try again, delete this is you want, Ms. Mod, but that sucks, big-big.

Crappy feeling 'cause of this, thanks. No offence.

Moderator's Reply:
    I didn't delete it--it just hadn't been posted yet. All messages are read before they are posted so it was just in the queue awaiting moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by emjay999 View Post
    I've been very conflicted about the whole issue myself. I've been a fan of his most of my life as well (25 years now), and it's rarely ever been a problem for me. I don't know that there could have been a better resolution to the whole matter; I mean, what would his fans have expected, what could he have delivered that would have satisfied us all? I only know that there were so many hints at other paths, so many other clearings at the end of other paths that he pointed at. The allusions made in Insomnia, for example, or the tease he threw in with Black House

that perhaps Jack could help the Ka-Tet in some way
    were completely deflated and turned out to be false hopes.

I think in a work this massive, that brooked this much time, threads of thought that he had at the beginning didn't appeal to him by the end, or they were forgotten. Coherence is difficult to maintain in even one continuous story, one volume, let alone a magnum opus that almost straddles a career as illustrious as SK's.

For me, the Dark Tower, book 7 is a true dark tower, a looming beast of a thing marking the end of my acquaintance with the Ka-Tet, and for that reason alone, I despise it - nevermind how I feel about the ending. I try to take comfort

that Roland will again and again meet Eddie and Susannah and Jake and Oy
    , but it's cold comfort, at best.

After all, he's made the point before that hell is repetition, and a relentless killer like Roland deserves no heaven, but eternal damnation. Loving Roland for his faults as well as his virtues doesn't make that fact disappear. I only wish I could read the true ending, the resolution of the whole matter, because Gan does seem to give him relief by degrees from cycle to cycle. I only want to know in the end he'll be granted the mercy he cried for.
    Ah! But you don't see! What you said and what I'm talking about is in the spoilers, but here it is. HE MIGHT NOT MEET THEM AGAIN!

Now that Susannah and Eddie and Jake are together in one world, things may be different in another, and with Roland having the Horn of Eld, it could all change. He could in up dying, as bad as that may be.
    I loved the ending after thinking about it for awhile.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast