Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The ending of Cell - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The ending of Cell

Default Re: The ending of Cell

Stephen King has a message about the ending of cell on the main page of this site.

12:41pm March 24th, 2006:
    Regarding Cell...
    CELL SPOILER: "Based on the information given in the final third of Cell—I’m thinking about the reversion back toward the norm of the later phone crazies—it seems pretty obvious to me that things turned out well for Clay’s son, Johnny. I don’t need to tell you this, do I?”

-Steve

Not all of Kings books or short stories have endings and that is what i love about them. I find the harder you think about it the more you will appreciate the endings that he writes. He is not afraid to leave something up for your interpretation. I find it keeps my imagination going and makes me feel more involved in his stories. And if a movie is made for this book I hope they leave the ending the way it is. Just look at The Mist.. the story had an amazing ending and the movie just jacked it all up. Hollywood needs to leave a good thing alone sometimes.

Long days and Pleasant Nights Fellow Constant Readers

I personally liked the ending. It ended with hope, like a previous member has said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sealskie View Post
    I personally liked the ending. It ended with hope, like a previous member has said.
    Agreed.
    I'm a fan of cliffhanger type endings where I hit that last sentence and go 'what?!?!'. I end up spending hours if not days thinking about what might have happened next and wondering if others thought the same things.

the end was a bit ... abrupt indeed , i guess it gives you the opportunity to imagine the end in your own way , but the truth is that when i finished the book i had already loved the characters and i was so sad i had to stop reading it :/ I kinda missed them :P i always have that after S.K.'s books

Hard for me to take, I felt Unfulfilled.

I just finished this book and loved it, especially because of the ending. The pacing overall was fantastic, but the climax and conclusion was just pure perfection; I was completely satisfied, and the comments I see everywhere about the abruptness of the ending prompted me to post these thoughts, heh.

The real conclusion, the wrapping-up of everything, seems like a given, based on all the information we receive throughout the book and even on just the tone post-Kashwak; starting with and because of the curing of Johnny, Clay and the rest of the survivors go on to slowly (probably very) pick up the pieces and rebuild. The biggest loose end is the source of the Pulse (in this novel more so than in others of Mr. King's, I was expecting to see a certain door symbol pop up near the back and make me drop my tome in shock), but Jordan's thoughts on the matter were more than a satisfactory enough explanation for me. I mean, terrorists or psycho scientists messing with technology they probably don't understand is probably what happened.

I know Cell is kind of portrayed as one of King's more violent and shocking horror tales, but the ending made me feel incredibly warm and fuzzy inside, and that's because of all the content, vomit-inducing and heartwarming, that precedes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Stephen King has a message about the ending of cell on the main page of this site.

12:41pm March 24th, 2006:
    Regarding Cell...
    CELL SPOILER: "Based on the information given in the final third of Cell—I’m thinking about the reversion back toward the norm of the later phone crazies—it seems pretty obvious to me that things turned out well for Clay’s son, Johnny. I don’t need to tell you this, do I?”

-Steve
    That's the first time I'm seeing this quote... All I have to say is EXACTLY!

This is the only ending that would fit the story so well. I thought it was so clever. A fine job.

Heh-heh. I've read SK for ~30 years now. Dormant for a while but just kicked through 11/22/63 (fantastic), Liseys Story (meh) and last night I finished Cell. And that ending, which i yelled in bed WTF! to my almost asleep wife, led me here. After reading almost every novel he has written (except those I had the misfortune to see on screen first), it took that book to bother to sign up on a forum!

I've read most of the posts in this thread and can see where all the opinions are coming from...but last night at 10:30, i sure wished that SK had one more sentence in him!

I'm tempted to try and get my 15yr old son to read it - just because I know how pissed off he will get at that ending! He needs all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

Guess i sound like that the boy in The Body/Stand by me that wants to hear the rest of the "Pie Eating Contest Story"!

Lol. I was so mad at the Dark Tower, I took it and traded it in at the used book store. That action must have made Uncle Steve shiver in his boots! Of course, I ended up buying another copy for a re-read when I calmed down.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast